Author Topic: Walter S Edwards born Canada/England  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Ebelvi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter S Edwards born Canada/England
« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 January 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Polarbear, what a fantastic job you did there. Waw!
Took me some time to decorticate it.

I forgot Bella died in New Jersey. But I did have in mind Samuel might have moved to Pennsylvania where his son Walter S moved. But didn't know how to take action...
Amazing you found  Samuel's second hand store in the Montreal Directory! I now managed to find the online record. 
O.K. found on Fam*Srch the 1905 Census New Jersey.
O.K. Bella birth date in 1901 definitely wrong.
Not checked birthdate on your Scotlandspeople link yet.
O.K. Found on Fam*Srch 1910 census Kennet Sq. Also for son Walter and wife Margaret.
I don't know where you found the Samuel's burial info (Drouin Collection)? With name
parents! Amazing!

Found Samuel's grave on Find*grave !
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153760669
Born 16 Sep 1829, but death date is 21 Mar 1911 insead of your 02 Mar 1911 Or is it difference between death and burial (Seems much too long between dates)?

For Samuel's will on An*stry I'll check later.

Amazing how you manage to get so much info in two day's time!!

I go totally berserk on the immigration info on the censusses. Have same problem with 1900, 1910 and 1920 census for Walter + Margaret family...

With birthdate and parents of Samuel now in mind, I thought it would be easy finding his birth/baptism record / England, but unfortunately cannot find a valuable candidate ...
Same problem for Marriage of William and Susan (Susan can be Susanna).
I think I waste far too much time on Fam*Srch...

Last minute, I see there's new posting I have to read.
You all do such a great job!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 11 January 19 01:09 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome. We all work together to try and find the answers.

About Samuel...

I believe the findagrave entry for his death date is incorrect, although I will say the first entry on the death cert looks like a 21. The second and third entries below it read Mar 2, and at least one has 2nd. He was buried on 05 Mar.

Samuel's death cert isn't in the Drouin Collection....that collection pertains to Quebec for the most part. It is in Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1965 on Ancest*y. Should be easy to find.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ebelvi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
you might check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This should give you access.
You refer to local public library in England? Bad luck, I'm not living in England.. I'll contact local library to find out possibilities free access. 

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 11 January 19 14:30 GMT (UK) »

Mary....

With her birthdate you might be able to find her birth in Scotland

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

This is a pay site but the indexes are free to use. You would have to pay for the record info.

I registered and got acces to indexes, but for birthday Mary Nichol there seems to be no matches before 1855, even with looser search options.

You need to look in Old Parish registers not Statutory Registers for births before 1855.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 11 January 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Has your post just been altered, or am I losing the plot? 

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 11 January 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Scottish records refresher, chempat. I rarely use the records and had forgotten there were different sets.

Ebelvi, not just libraries in England....libraries in other countries around the world subscribe to Ancestry Library Edition. I hope yours will be one of them.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ebelvi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 11 January 19 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Polarbear,
Found the index for birth Mary. Thanks!

Contacted local library. They have 'boardmeeting' tomorrow and will discuss A*stry issue...

Chempat,
I now see something went wrong. I first posted a few links to Fam*Srch, then modified my post adding query about A*try acces in library, but something must have gone wrong and lost links...

---------------
Cannot find -with Fam*Srch- birth/baptism record of Samuel, nor record marriage of his parents.   Maybe the record book containing both has been lost?

We actually don't know when Samuel moved to America so he might be in a census 1841 (or even 1851 census to get married in 1852?)

Don't know whether this might be related to our Samuel- and or parents;

A census 1841 samuel (age 11yrs fits) in a family William+Susannah (=Susan?)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQRZ-WBM

A census 1841 with a William Edwards (bottom of list) in/with a Susan Farr family (?!)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQTK-8ZM