Author Topic: Cannot find Catherine Beavan .... can you please help?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cannot find Catherine Beavan .... can you please help?
« on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find a burial or death certificate for  Catherine Beavan, I have searched myself but cannot find anything - please can anyone  help me or suggest what I could do next?

This is what I have so far:
Catherine Hancorn b1817 daughter of John & Sarah Hancorn
Catherine Hancorn married Herbert Beavan 3/4/1840
they have two children Eliza b.1840 and Catherine Fortune b.1842 ( both baptised at Letton)
By 1851 Herbert and the two daughters are living with his extended family at Woodeves, Eardisley but there is no sign of Catherine.
I have found a newspaper report in The Hereford Times (June 14 1851) which says that William Herbert Beavan of Madley had been apprehended for deserting his wife in the workhouse. I cannot find any further newspaper articles which say what happened to either of them over this matter.

I have searched deaths and have got as far as maybe  ordering a couple but when I put all the information into the GRO form it ( very helpfully!) shows the age at death and none of these tie up with someone born in 1817 so I haven't ordered them.

All suggestions welcome!

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find Catherine Beavan .... can you please help?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see the daughters living with him in 1851.  He says he is married, not widowed.

Debra  :)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find Catherine Beavan .... can you please help?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
One daughter (Eliza) is living with Herbert and his brother and sister - although Eliza is recorded as a neice.(Piece 2492 Folio 35) The other daughter, Fortune, is with her Grandmother  ( Piece 2492 Folio 31) - the  two households are very close together.
I noticed that Herbert says he is married in 1851, he also states he is married in 1861 but again no trace of Catherine.