Author Topic: soldier in uniform what regiment please  (Read 2986 times)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: soldier in uniform what regiment please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
It should be a T (Territorial) over a Y (Yeomanry).  When the Yeomanry  expanded in WW1 an unofficial practice was to modify the T to a 1 to represent 1st Glamorgan Yeomanry.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Pre 1908 the Glam Imp Yeo wore 'GIY' as a shoulder title.  The 3 tier version was post 1908.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
It should be a T (Territorial) over a Y (Yeomanry).  When the Yeomanry  expanded in WW1 an unofficial practice was to modify the T to a 1 to represent 1st Glamorgan Yeomanry.

Hi alan o, do you think this could have been the case here, just having a look at the shoulder title.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I had a discussion in another place (as they say in parliament) about the apparent "I" or "1" above a "Y" above the curved "Glamorgan" and omitted (ie forgot) to bring the consensus here, mea culpa. 

Alan o's post about an unofficial "doctored" T is indeed the explanation.  Source is given as the definitive Westlake book on shoulder titles which does not have an official I(1) Y Glamorgan combination.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I had a discussion in another place (as they say in parliament) about the apparent "I" or "1" above a "Y" above the curved "Glamorgan" and omitted (ie forgot) to bring the consensus here, mea culpa. 

Alan o's post about an unofficial "doctored" T is indeed the explanation.  Source is given as the definitive Westlake book on shoulder titles which does not have an official I(1) Y Glamorgan combination.

MaxD

Sorted then  ;) I have to admit, the I/1 above the "T" had been bugging me  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: gw0mow 
 completed   link=topic=785453.msg6405416#msg6405416 date=1515541413
  completed   please accept my thanks for all that replied   and for the information re john william davies  i had missed him  thank you all john
please can someone tell me   which regiment this soldier is wearing  ?   its one of 3 pics  one says idris davies abertaff villas abercynon   ,the other written to    pte i davies  037063  332nd coy 38th div asc etc , i found army service records for idris,  rasc  driver and batman , from abercynon   a brother to my wifes grandfather , if someone can confirm uniform  we will be very grateful,   it came in a box of old pics many possibly family   but most with nil on back  pity    yours john
harris

Offline glam yeo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 January 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
100% Glamorgan Yeo, Yes 1/Y/ GLAMORGAN was used (unofficial) by the 1st line battalion. I have a data base of around 2000 men who served in the Glamorgan yeomanry 1901-1918, unfortunately I can't match Cyril or John William but there are a couple of Davids, the only 1st line man with no middle name is 905 L/Cpl David Davies later 320538 24th Welsh Regiment who served in Egypt (Palestine) then France. The only thing is he would only have been 16 on enlistment as 905 enlisted in Feb 1909, sorry I can't be of anymore help Mike

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
100% Glamorgan Yeo, Yes 1/Y/ GLAMORGAN was used (unofficial) by the 1st line battalion. I have a data base of around 2000 men who served in the Glamorgan yeomanry 1901-1918, unfortunately I can't match Cyril or John William but there are a couple of Davids, the only 1st line man with no middle name is 905 L/Cpl David Davies later 320538 24th Welsh Regiment who served in Egypt (Palestine) then France. The only thing is he would only have been 16 on enlistment as 905 enlisted in Feb 1909, sorry I can't be of anymore help Mike
   a final thanks for the last reply , i appreciate the time you all spent helping me   bye everyone   john
harris