Author Topic: Robert RONSON. Indecent Assault - July 1889 at Carlisle. Criminal Records  (Read 2034 times)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert RONSON. Indecent Assault - July 1889 at Carlisle. Criminal Records
« on: Thursday 11 January 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
This is my first posting. I hope I don't breach protocol in any way. I will be very grateful if anyone can help or advise.

I am trying to obtain more details of the criminal conviction, sentence and prison conditions/circumstances of my ancestor Robert RONSON b abt/ 1817. He was a clog maker for many years and resided in Dalston, Cumberland - possibly at Glave Hill - for much of his life but did spend some  years at 37 Bridge Street Carlisle.  He married a Jane CLAPPERSON (CLAPPERTON/CLOPPERSON?) and they had 14 children before she died in 1886. In the 1891 census he is found at 20 Granville Road Carlisle with his daughter Emma and her family. He died in Fusehill workhouse on 12th February 1894.

Unfortunately, it appears that, on 17th May 1889 at Dalston, when living next door to a William GATE, in his 70's and after the death of his wife, appallingly, he turned his carnal attentions onto a 13 year old girl who cleaned for him called Margaret McKENNA, who resided at Peel Street Carlisle  (a long way for a 13 year old to travel in 1886 just to clean for an old man). He was arrested by a Constable Adam ARMSTRONG of Dalston and charged with Indecent Assault and pleaded not guilty. After a trial at Carlisle (Crown/Assizes?) Court, I think on 4th July 1889, he was convicted by a Jury and sentenced to 10 Months imprisonment with hard labour. I have found a brief newspaper report about the case from The Carlisle Patriot on 12th July 1889.

I have made enquiries with the very helpful archivist at Carlisle record office by email to try to ascertain what records they hold which may be helpful in my search.

The superb reply I received suggests the following may help:

Petty Sessions
QP/1/1/34   Conviction Book, 1889
Q/PCU/51   Court Register, 1888-1892
Q/PCU/15   Minute Book, 1887-1890

Quarter Sessions
Q/4/11   Conviction Book, Michaelmas 1890 - Midsummer 1891

(I am uncertain if either of these would include details of such a case at Carlisle Crown Court and if so how detailed).

The following newspaper publications are held on microfilm in the Local Studies section at Carlisle Library.
Carlisle Express and Examiner 1857 - 1913
Carlisle Journal 1801 – 1968
Carlisle Patriot 1815 - 1910

(The British Newspaper Archives, to which I have subscribed) seem to be missing the appropriate issues for the Carlisle Journal and The Carlisle Express and Examiner for the dates in question so I am hopeful of such a look up at Carlisle Record office bearing fruit.)

There are some records within the Cumbria Constabulary collection which you might also be interested in.
SCONS/2/8   Register of staff appointments, 1884-1943
SCONS/2/9   Register of persons appointed, 1884-1903

(It would be interesting to find some details about the arresting officer PC Adam ARMSTRONG. Interestingly, in the same Carlisle Patriot issue that details Robert RONSON's conviction the same officer is also a key witness against another arrested man William KERR, 25, who was charged with a dreadful Rape and Murder at Dalston, convicted and sentenced to Death. I suppose hoping for a photograph of PC ARMSTRONG - or Robert RONSON - is a little optimistic)

In the Clerk’s papers of Carlisle City Council, I have come across a file which contains a report of the Carlisle Gaol Visiting Committee, 1887-1888 (reference C/C/2/430)

(Whilst hoping for specific details or records from Carlisle Prison relating to Robert RONSON appear a little forlorn it would be great to find any background information/photographs about Carlisle Gaol and hard labour there in 1889)

Thank you for reading my request.

Neil.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Robert RONSON. Indecent Assault - July 1889 at Carlisle. Criminal Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Just wondered if the newspaper article that you have looked at mentioned which court he was tried at. It certainly would not be Crown Court as these only came to existence c1970. If you are certain that the offence happened at Dalston, then he would be tried at Cumberland Quarter Sessions or Cumberland Assizes, both held in Carlisle. However, if the offence happened in Carlisle (and Peel St is the next street along from Granville Road)  then he may have been tried at Carlisle Quarter Sessions or Carlisle Assizes, again Held in Carlisle.

I am not sure when Carlisle began with its own Quarter Sessions and Assizes.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I should have mentioned that if it was a jury trial then it would be Quarter Sessions or Assizes. He would initially have appeared at a petty sessions (Magistrates Court) but they would have committed him for trial by Jury at Quarter Sessions or Assizes, depending on the seriousness of the Offence. I also think that I am right in saying that Quarter Session records will be held locally while Assize records will be held at the National Archives.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking an interest in this case.

I have looked again at the newspaper article. The brief entry about this case is one of several that form part of many columns (mostly about the Dalston Murder) under a heading that says: CARLISLE ASSIZES-  Today we necessarily abbreviate reports which we issued in special editions on the days of the trial - CROWN COURT - Friday Mr Justice STEVEN took his seat on the bench at eleven o'clock...... It then goes on about the make up of the jury and launches into very detailed evidence about other cases. By the time the Murder case is covered the jury memebers are different so perhaps this is an amalgamated report about business over several Cumberland courts that week. Several columns later the article deals with other cases including that of Robert RONSON, under a heading of SECOND CRIMINAL COURT. Here the Judge is Justice GRANTHAM. While the main newspaper report is headed CARLISLE ASSIZES the report makes it clear that the offence took place in Dalston. Moreover, it refers to a witness as William Gate as being Robert's neighbour (I find GATE listed in Dalston on the 1891 census living next door to a then unoccupied house that other evidence points to Robert having once lived in at Glave Hill, Dalston) In summary I am convinced the offence took place in Dalston. In fact the sub heading in the column is "INDECENT ASSAULT AT DALSTON".

I am a little confused by the mention of Crown Court in the newspaper article as my own background reading suggests strongly that your assertion that these are very modern courts is right.

I think I will have to search the Cumberland and National Archives to be sure I have captured everything. I think I am most hopeful of a result via the Carlisle Journal and The Carlisle Express and Examiner for the dates
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
The BNA has an earlier report in the Carlisle Patriot dated 31/5/1889. This reports his appearance in the County Court and says the case has been committed to the Assizes.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
From a record on Findmypast it would appear the case was held at Cumberland Assizes in Carlisle.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Isobel.

I suspect that means that the records will be at The National Archives which I shall endevour to check on my next visit to London.

I will still be very grateful if anyone in Carlisle can help with a lookup in the other records mentioned in my initial post. Thanks to all for reading.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a reference to the trial in the Patriot dated 28/6.
I can look up the Journal and the Examiner, but may not be until the week after next?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gan Yam. That would be very much appreciated if you do get the chance.