Author Topic: David Graham born 1791 in Glasgow (Lookup Request)  (Read 2079 times)

Offline westcoastie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Graham born 1791 in Glasgow (Lookup Request)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census lists at Auchingreea, Cadder, David Graham, 55; Janet Graham 50; Janet Graham, 25; David Graham, 20; and Margret Graham, 15. Also, separate from the family, Elizabeth Graham, 40. So it may be that David and Janet had other, unrecorded, children, and that Elizabeth aged 40 could have been a sister or sister-in-law of either David or Janet. Bear in mind that adults' ages in 1841 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so they could all have been up to 4 years older than the ages listed in the census.

I find this interesting. Auchingree is the name of their farm in Cadder. Technically, David Sr. should be 50, wife Janet 51 (if 1790 is indeed her birthdate), David Jr. 23, and then their daughter, Elizabeth 25 although she probably had left home but if it was common for ages to be that off, as you say, I believe that is them! I think I may have seen this before and been confused as to the ages so it's good to know.

Great! I think it's safe to say her maiden name was Graham then. I wonder if her father, William Graham had any ties to her husbands family??

Thanks for your assistance!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 January 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Great! I think it's safe to say her maiden name was Graham then.
No need to speculate. Her death certificate will tell you definitively.

I wonder if her father, William Graham had any ties to her husbands family??
Quite possibly, but it's going to be very difficult to prove.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 January 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I find this interesting. Auchingree is the name of their farm in Cadder. Technically, David Sr. should be 50, wife Janet 51 (if 1790 is indeed her birthdate), David Jr. 23, and then their daughter, Elizabeth 25 although she probably had left home but if it was common for ages to be that off, as you say, I believe that is them! I think I may have seen this before and been confused as to the ages so it's good to know.
If Janet was the one baptised on 11 November 1790, she would not have had her 51st birthday by census day 1841, which was 7 June, so she would have been 50, not 51.

Elizabeth was baptised on 3 March 1816, so she would have had her birthday in 1841, and would have been 25. David was born on 5 December 1818 so would not have had his 23rd birthday by census day in 1841.

Have you looked at those death certificates? Who were David's parents?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
David Graham was 77 when he died as a widower, his parents were John/Margaret Graham.  Informant was David Graham (son).

The 1865 Valuations show a John Bowman Graham as the proprietor of land/house and David a tenant a few doors away.
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.