Author Topic: Furney USA  (Read 856 times)

Offline EDaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Furney USA
« on: Friday 12 January 18 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I`ve traced the Furney line back to my 2nd ggf William J Furney born in Pennsylvania 1822 -1823.
He died in Michigan in 1894, married twice. The spelling of the name is consistant from my Mother Elverda Furney back to my 2nd ggf.  Can`t find any birth information on William Furney in PA in 1822-1823.  There seems to be many different spellings but, I can`t seem to find any connection with William.  Any help is truly appreciated.
Ed

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Furney USA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Pennsylvania didn't require birth registration until 1906, so there may not be any actual birth record.  Sometimes, baptism records can be found, but there may be no record related to his birth.

What is the earliest census you have him on?  1850 is the first one that lists all members of the household, rather than just the head of household, so it may be hard to find him prior to that unless you have the name of his parents or have an exact town/county where he lived.

If you have a death or marriage record for him, you could check there for parents' names.  Places where you might find parents'/siblings' names, a more specific place of birth, or where he spent his early years include obituaries, newspaper articles, wills, or burial records. 

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Sadly no parents listed on the marriage - 10 March 1845 Trumbull Ohio

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9392-S5QV-6R?i=79&cc=1614804

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Nothing on the headstone Inscription............... :'(

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/36923684

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
First 2 sons were Daniel E Furney 1846 - 1917 and Samuel Franklin Furney 1848 - 1922 - have you tried looking at the naming pattern to see if the first son or second son was named after a grandfather of those names   ???

Sandra

Offline EDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 18 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  The earliest census I have is 1860 in Hicksville Township, Defiance County, Ohio which lists his age as 37 (1823), born in PA and the names of his family.  I hadn't thought of possibly tying his sons names to the grandfather.  Good idea.  I will see what I can find.  There are a lot of variations in the spelling of the name in PA.   

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 January 18 07:10 GMT (UK) »
1850 census Bazetta Trumball Ohio
William Ferney 37 carpenter born PA  (note spelling of surname)
Elizabeth 27 born PA
Daniel 4 born Ohio
Samuel 2 born Ohio

There are a lot of families from Pa on this page and the town itself, including Martin Bear 34 and His wife Susannah 34
he is a farmer, is he related to Elizabeth?
People often travelled to new places in groups, perhaps looking into the Bear family will lead you to the towns they all came from.
Have you checked books from the local history society, earliest residents of .....

Offline EDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 January 18 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks....that's a good idea.  Briefly I found that Bear (or Bare) is a very common name in PA so will have to look into it a little further.  Thanks for the help.  I'll let you know if I make a connection.