Author Topic: Lost burial ground, Framfield.  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost burial ground, Framfield.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 January 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thinking a bit more about this .... In your initial post you say you are looking for the burial place of your gggrandfather and you say, "I have visited St.Thomas church but they were of no help" Who did you seek help from and what was their response?

I think it is unlikely that anyone working or volunteering at the church today, would be able to help you. You may be better contacting a local history group or a "friends of" the church group if one exists.

If we presume that there was not a headstone, (sometimes headstones have been transcribed in the past even if they have been since removed) you would probably need to try to find out if plans of the burials within or without the churchyard survive. Contacting the church again, or a local history group, might be the best course of action.

Added: apparently there is no burial plan available at present, but they are "working on it". http://www.framfieldchurch.org.uk/history.html
That implies that records DO exist, but maybe they are not comprehensive or available on an online database. It looks like Lewes archive office hold the older records from St Thomas - they may be able to help?  :-\

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 January 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
i noticed the mention of dates of statutes related to burial of suicides in the discussion on my link at reply #11

Sorry, Ruskie.
Still, it's always good reading the great Stan!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 January 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
That's fine Jon. Yes, always good to read Stan's posts! He sticks to the facts. :)

According to their website, St Thomas a Becket Church serves Palehouse Common, which appears to have been the case in the past too. As I said in an earlier post, old maps don't show any other  churches in the area.

I have had yet another thought, but it will need confirmation. I note that Palehouse Common is a fairly large area. If place of abode varies between Palehouse Common and Croxted, might it be that Palehouse Common was the larger area, akin to a suburb, and Croxted Lane was his "street address" as it were?  :-\

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 January 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the responses, I already knew about Jeremiah's mental health problems. As for going to the church, this was over 10 years ago, I remember it was pouring with rain while I was scouring the overgrown graveyard looking for a headstone. I went to the office to ask about the possible where abouts of Jeremiah's grave and as to where Croxted Lane Yard may of been, I was just told that there was no plan of the graveyard and the overall impression I got was go away and don't bother me. I have since emailed the church on several occasions over the years to make inquiries but got no response. I see now they are charging £18 to do a search. As to "no burial plan available at present", they have been working on this for years but nothing has appeared yet. If records of the burials do exist where are they and why could'nt they point me in that direction. I no longer live in England so I can't return to Framfield or the records office at Lewis to investigate further. I notice in a comment from Ruskie that the word yard seems to have dissapeared from the burial record during the transfer from familyhistoryonline to presumably FindMyPast. As I can't post images on this thread I have posted them on another thread in the common room, maybe a kind moderator could merge them.     

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 January 18 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 January 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Solidrock,
It was Jon who noted the omission of "Yard".  :)

As this is a transcription, it might be an idea to try to find the original to confirm. It probably is not of much importance if he is buried in the churchyard. You have a reasonable idea of where is lived so at least that is something.  :-\

I agree that the churchyard burial plans must be somewhere. Maybe an email to Lewes Archives? Or a request for a lookup from anyone visiting Lewes Archives?

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 January 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Just to note that the Sussex Archives are no longer at Lewes, having moved to a brand new facility at The Keep in Falmer, Sussex.

Have looked at the info on the Sussex Family History Group site for burials at St. Thomas Framfield (1539-1899) and there is record of a burial of Jeremiah Batchelor in 1891 at St. Thomas, Framfield giving the details that have been noted previously i.e. age 63, burial date 8 Aug 1891 with Croxted Lane supplied as other info. 

To me this suggests that he is buried at St. Thomas, Framfield as this entry has been taken from their burial register.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 January 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
There is no Yard mentioned on the transcript on findmypast.
Nor on the BT, as we have seen.
Regarding the parish register entry of the burial it appears that Framfield started a new register in 1890? But before they had reached the very end of the old one. But they later added some burials for 1894/5 at the end of the old one, numbering those pages 9 to 12.
Or maybe not, they may have just stuck some extra pages in for some reason!
So, as it says, you will have to "See next register" (which the LDS do not seem to have filmed, perhaps it was still in use)
John

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 January 18 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Pheno.  :)