Author Topic: Sarah Heat and Joseph Turner  (Read 4210 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Heat and Joseph Turner
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 January 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it was Sarah Heat...

Sarah Turner. Burial 04 Dec 1809, Hartfield, Sussex. Spouse's Name    Joseph Turner.

Is there any sign of a burial for Joseph Turner (between 1799 and 1850)? Or Anne Turner (between c1760 and 1799)?

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 January 18 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I can't see a marriage for a Henry Heat either, but there is this one in Withyham worth considering maybe Henry's father or a relation

Henry HAIT married Ann Ovenden 19 October 1752

BURIALS

Anne HEATH widow buried 25 June 1810 Withyham

Henry HEATH buried 6 June 1778 Withyham aged 62

Claire

I think I might have the christening of Ann Ovenden.

"Ann Ovenden christened 2 May 1735 Withyham - daughter of William and Ellen/Eleanor"

There are a lot of Ovendens in Withyham and the neighbouring parish of Rotherfield who are probably connected.

Ann's father could either be William Ovenden who married Ellenor Pyke in 1709 in Withyham, but if so then both William and Ellen would be in their 40s when Ann was born (Ellen appears to have been born in 1691, and William in the 1680s).

William and Ellenor had a son named William in 1710 but it looks like he died as they had another William in 1726.

I'll see if I can find any Wills or other records which might help put these together.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 January 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ann Turner buried 13 December 1794 Hartfield, St. Mary.

There are four burials for a Joseph Turner in Hartfield. The first Joseph buried Hartfield 12 May 1810 was the son of Joseph of East Grinstead.

The other three, no ages given unfortunately all took place at Hartfield

29 September 1819
24 October 1821
29 December 1829

There are also two other marriages of a Joseph Turner in Hartfield around the same time your Joseph married Sarah Heat.

It's a pity no ages were recorded on the burials.

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 January 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I can't see a marriage for a Henry Heat either, but there is this one in Withyham worth considering maybe Henry's father or a relation

Henry HAIT married Ann Ovenden 19 October 1752

BURIALS

Anne HEATH widow buried 25 June 1810 Withyham

Henry HEATH buried 6 June 1778 Withyham aged 62

Claire

How far is Withyham from Stoughton in Sussex? I've found a possible christening for Henry Heat in 1730

"Henry Heet - christened 2 April 1730 Stoughton - parents John Heet and Ann"

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 January 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ann Turner buried 13 December 1794 Hartfield, St. Mary.

There are four burials for a Joseph Turner in Hartfield. The first Joseph buried Hartfield 12 May 1810 was the son of Joseph of East Grinstead.

The other three, no ages given unfortunately all took place at Hartfield

29 September 1819
24 October 1821
29 December 1829

There are also two other marriages of a Joseph Turner in Hartfield around the same time your Joseph married Sarah Heat.

It's a pity no ages were recorded on the burials.

Claire

Hi Claire

Thanks for that info. The burial for Ann defintely looks to  be the right one. Joseph Turner was married firstly to Anne Weller in 1789 and as far as I can see they only had two children, Joseph christened in 1792 and William who was christened in 1795.

The Joseph christened in 1792 might be the same Joseph who was buried in East Grinstead in 1810.

There is also a Joseph Turner born to Joseph and Mary in Hartfield in 1761 and another [also born to Joseph and Mary] in 1770.

At least with this info I know when Joseph's first wife Anne was buried and I know when his second wife, Sarah was buried. Perhaps the answer to when he died/was buried lays in Probate records.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 January 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Withyham to Stoughton is a fair way (68 miles) - the burial for the Henry Heath in 1778 Withyham says he was 62 - so a birthyear of c1716. I took this burial for the father of Henry born 1753.

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Withyham to Stoughton is a fair way (68 miles) - the burial for the Henry Heath in 1778 Withyham says he was 62 - so a birthyear of c1716. I took this burial for the father of Henry born 1753.

Claire

Hi Claire

I agree with you regarding Henry. A christening c1716 would make much more sense.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 April 18 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a baptism close to Withyham, which could possibly be Henry. It took place in Cowden, Kent which is five miles from Withyham

Henry Heat baptised 15 April 1753 at Cowden, son of Henry and Ann.

A sibling Mary is baptised too in Cowden on 2 March 1755
And a Hannah baptised 18 April 1762, also in Cowden.

Back in Withyham there is this

Lucy baptised 16 Oct 1774 mother Mary Heat.
On the 27 Oct 1792 a 'male' child was baptised son of Sarah Heath.

Claire

Hi Claire

Hope you can help me here. I've just been going through my notes on the Heat[h]/Hait line and noticed a possible problem regarding Henry Heat christened in Cowden in 1753 (son of Henry and Ann). However I now think he might have died young (if he did then I've just wasted 2 months researching the wrong people lol!)

In my notes I have a record of another Henry christened in Cowden on 22 March 1767 (again the parents are down as Henry and Ann).

Are you able to check the PR to see if there is a burial for the first Henry (chr 1753) between 1753 and 1767? If he died then the second Henry is probably the son of the same parents (Henry Heat and Ann Ovenden), however he would be too young to be the father of my Sarah Heat who was born in Withyham in 1773.

We know that there was a Sarah born to Thomas and Ann as well, but we also know that she died. Therefore my Sarah must be the daughter of Henry and Ann. If the Henry who was christened in 1753 did die young then I need to look elsewhere for her father.

Hope that made sense and I hope you can help.

Best Wishes and Thanks

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 April 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

You know how to make someone feel bad knowing how long you've worked on this  ;D

I've tried everywhere I can think of online to find a burial record. It seems that Cowden burials are not online, just the baptisms (transcriptions only) - including the 1767 baptism you have in your notes. I just wish I'd seen it too first time round.

Apologies.

Claire