Author Topic: Sarah Heat and Joseph Turner  (Read 4205 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Heat and Joseph Turner
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 April 18 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

You know how to make someone feel bad knowing how long you've worked on this  ;D

I've tried everywhere I can think of online to find a burial record. It seems that Cowden burials are not online, just the baptisms (transcriptions only) - including the 1767 baptism you have in your notes. I just wish I'd seen it too first time round.

Apologies.

Claire

Hi Claire

My apologies too lol! I have to admit it wasn't until I wasn't until I looked at my notes again and started to write up the material on the Ovendens that I noticed the potential problem. The thing that made me thing there might be a problem was that in none of the Ovenden wills that I have is the name Heat/Heath mentioned.

I have to admit I had forgotten I had posted this and I haven't done any work on the Heat/Heath line since, or the Ovendens etc. I suspect that the line of enquiry I have originally followed (ie Sarah daughter Henry Heat[h] and Ann Ovenden] is correct but having a second Sarah around at the same time, of the same age, and in the same area is just a bit confusing and a bit of a headache. No doubt these two were cousins lol!

Anyhow I am leaving this lot for a bit whilst I work on some of my other families in Kent, Wiltshire and Dorset. I will come back to this again in the next week or two though.

Matt

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 April 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
I can't see a marriage for a Henry Heat either, but there is this one in Withyham worth considering maybe Henry's father or a relation

Henry HAIT married Ann Ovenden 19 October 1752

BURIALS

Anne HEATH widow buried 25 June 1810 Withyham

Henry HEATH buried 6 June 1778 Withyham aged 62

Could not Henry and Ann, married 1752, be the parents of Sarah born 1773? Thus eliminating the need for another Henry in between?
They marry in Withyham, toddle off to Cowden for a while. After the second(?) Henry is born (or baptized!) in Cowden they go back to Withyham.

On the other hand, a Henry Heat/Heath is in the Withyham land tax records from 1764 (but not before?). In the lists he is after William Ovenden of Blackham Court.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ8-BWXN?cat=340725

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 April 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
I think I might have the christening of Ann Ovenden.

"Ann Ovenden christened 2 May 1735 Withyham - daughter of William and Ellen/Eleanor"

There are a lot of Ovendens in Withyham and the neighbouring parish of Rotherfield who are probably connected.

Ann's father could either be William Ovenden who married Ellenor Pyke in 1709 in Withyham, but if so then both William and Ellen would be in their 40s when Ann was born (Ellen appears to have been born in 1691, and William in the 1680s).

William and Ellenor had a son named William in 1710 but it looks like he died as they had another William in 1726.

I'll see if I can find any Wills or other records which might help put these together.
Matt

Matt will probably have seen this by now!
But it's the will of William Ovenden of Blackham Court, dated 11 June 1747, proved 3 August 1748 at Lewes. Wife Ellinor. Two sons, and four daughters including Ann (last named). The Ann baptized Withyham, 1735?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-68YY-JX?i=407&cat=685691
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 April 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
I can't see a marriage for a Henry Heat either, but there is this one in Withyham worth considering maybe Henry's father or a relation

Henry HAIT married Ann Ovenden 19 October 1752

BURIALS

Henry HEATH buried 6 June 1778 Withyham aged 62

Could not Henry and Ann, married 1752, be the parents of Sarah born 1773? Thus eliminating the need for another Henry in between?
They marry in Withyham, toddle off to Cowden for a while. After the second(?) Henry is born (or baptized!) in Cowden they go back to Withyham.

On the other hand, a Henry Heat/Heath is in the Withyham land tax records from 1764 (but not before?). In the lists he is after William Ovenden of Blackham Court.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ8-BWXN?cat=340725

I'm not sure Henry Heat and Ann Ovenden (who married in 1752) were the parents of Sarah Heat (christened 1773). It looks like Henry was born in 1716 in Hawkhurst (to Richard and Ann Heat[h]) whilst Ann Ovenden was born in 1735 in Withyam (to William and Ann). If they were the parents of Sarah then he would be 57 when Sarah was born and Ann would have been 38.

It is possible I suppose however I think the confusing thing is the fact there are two Henrys born to parents named “Henry and Ann”

Henry christened in Cowden on 17 April 1753
Henry christened in Cowden on 22 March 1767

If the first Henry died then the second Henry could be another son of Henry Heat[h] and Ann Ovenden, and in that case he would be too young to be Sarah's father. This in turn would mean that Henry Heat[h] and Ann Ovenden wouldn't be her grandparents.

I suspect that the first Henry (born 1753) is Sarah's father, unless as you say she is the daughter of his father (ie  Henry Heat and Ann Ovenden married in 1752). It's just confusing having two sets of parents called Henry and Ann – unless they are the same people.

The mention of Henry Heat on the tax list after William Ovenden is very interesting and makes me think there is a link.

It's a bit of a tangled puzzle to be honest.

Time to go back to my notes I think and see what I can work out.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
I think I might have the christening of Ann Ovenden.

"Ann Ovenden christened 2 May 1735 Withyham - daughter of William and Ellen/Eleanor"

There are a lot of Ovendens in Withyham and the neighbouring parish of Rotherfield who are probably connected.

Ann's father could either be William Ovenden who married Ellenor Pyke in 1709 in Withyham, but if so then both William and Ellen would be in their 40s when Ann was born (Ellen appears to have been born in 1691, and William in the 1680s).

William and Ellenor had a son named William in 1710 but it looks like he died as they had another William in 1726.

I'll see if I can find any Wills or other records which might help put these together.
Matt

Matt will probably have seen this by now!
But it's the will of William Ovenden of Blackham Court, dated 11 June 1747, proved 3 August 1748 at Lewes. Wife Ellinor. Two sons, and four daughters including Ann (last named). The Ann baptized Withyham, 1735?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-68YY-JX?i=407&cat=685691
John

Hi John

Yes I have seen this Will. I have a copy of it and the accompanying inventory.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Hope you see these

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 April 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
Matt, you may be aware that a load more Kent parish registers have gone online (f m p)
Including Cowden
That 1753 baptism there says
April 15th Henry the Son of Henry and Ann Heat of Hartfield
Similarly, the baptisms of Mary in 1755 and Hannah in 1762 say that Henry + Ann were of Hartfield.
And there are a good number of other baptisms in the Cowden register where "of Hartfield" is noted.

The second Henry baptized 22 March 1767 says
Henry son of Henry Heath of Withyham by Anne his wife

No Henry, or indeed any, Heat/Heath burials are indexed in Cowden at that time. But apparently they weren't living there in any case!
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 April 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
Matt, you may be aware that a load more Kent parish registers have gone online (f m p)
Including Cowden
That 1753 baptism there says
April 15th Henry the Son of Henry and Ann Heat of Hartfield
Similarly, the baptisms of Mary in 1755 and Hannah in 1762 say that Henry + Ann were of Hartfield.
And there are a good number of other baptisms in the Cowden register where "of Hartfield" is noted.

The second Henry baptized 22 March 1767 says
Henry son of Henry Heath of Withyham by Anne his wife

No Henry, or indeed any, Heat/Heath burials are indexed in Cowden at that time. But apparently they weren't living there in any case!
John

Hi John

Thanks for those bits of extra info. I've managed to sort my Heat/Heath family out now but I haven't got back further than Henry and Ann.

Given that these records suggest a link with Hartfield it is possible that Henry was from there. Sarah Heath and Joseph Turner were married there in 1796.

I'll have a look through the records on FindMyPast for Hartfield next time I go to the library.

Thanks for the info.

Matt