Author Topic: Problem accessing Canadian website from England  (Read 2787 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Problem accessing Canadian website from England
« on: Saturday 13 January 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to access a website but this comes up: 

403 Access Forbidden.  Your location (GB) has been blacklisted.

It is www.sjv.on.ca/about/history.html

I can read this much on the Google search:  “St Joseph’s Villa, House of Providence, Dundas, Ontario.  The cornerstone of the Mission of St Joseph’s Villa was established in 1879 when our founders the Sisters of St Joseph of Hamilton, pioneers of Canada’s health care system, opened the House of Providence to care for the elderly and disadvantaged.  The Dundas……..”

I would like to read about the House of Providence, Dundas as Matthew Truran (born Cornwall) died there in 1909.

Any suggestions as to how I can read the rest of the article?  I have seen postcards of this place online and it looks remarkable.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problem accessing Canadian website from England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
It's the same for me...try this:

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7971423-sisters-of-st-joseph-convent-for-sale-for-15-million/

Removed link...Looks like it was rebuilt in 1951 so not relevant  ::)

There appears to be a lot of secrecy about the place  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I get the same response, but I'm in a different country!
So IM has been blacklisted, too :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
you could try accessing it using a VPN ;)
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Any suggestions as to how I can read the rest of the article?

Google cache
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lbl/

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 January 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your suggestions. 

The Google cache is showing "forbidden", just as before.

Malky - the Toronto House of Providence seems to be a different one to the Dundas H of P, but I will read through the notes.

chinapaddy - never used a vpn before, not sure I'm confident to tinker with my system ;)

I'll have to be content with just the postcards I've managed to find.

Thanks.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Problem accessing Canadian website from England COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to dbree who is in Canada and has been able to access this website and provide me with the info in a PM. 

Thanks to all.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. :)

My apologies, I meant to update but the phone rang, and the caller was very chatty. ;D

I don't think that adding a portion (history) of the website is a copyright issue. :-\

The Cornerstone of the Mission of St. Joseph's Villa was established in 1879 when our founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton, pioneers of Canada's health care system, opened the House of Providence to care for the elderly and disadvantaged. The Dundas House of Providence was built as a private residence by the late James Coleman, a wealthy Dundas merchant. Coleman's Castle, as it was once known, towered above all other buildings in the district. As Mr. Coleman’s family became older, the home was sold to the Methodist Church and for a short period of time was a Wesleyan Seminary.
In 1879, the idea of the House of Providence came forth through the efforts of Rev. Father John McNulty, who wished to have a facility for the senior citizens of the region. Father McNulty purchased the property for $10,000, paying $8,000 in cash, which was attained through initial fundraising efforts.  The first House of Providence Picnic was held in August 1879 to raise the additional $2,000. The Picnic tradition continued for 92 years and was the highlight of the Dundas Social season, attracting thousands of people from the immediate community and surrounding areas.  On completing the sale on August 22, 1879, Father McNulty deeded the property to the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton.

cont'd