Author Topic: Runcton Holme original parish register  (Read 1070 times)

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Runcton Holme original parish register
« on: Saturday 13 January 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has easy access to the original parish register of Runcton Holme.

A widow named Margaret Goodale was buried there on 7th January 1775. Does the original register note ages, and if so, how old was Margaret?

(As far as I'm aware none of the transcriptions available online mention ages, they appear to be based on archdeacon's transcripts)

Thanks for any help
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Runcton Holme original parish register
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I suspect if an age had been shown on the original record it would have been transcribed on the Family Search entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Ages weren't generally shown on burials (aside from infants) before 1813.  The fact that the record shows she was a widow would indicate that if an age had been given this would have been included too.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you know her maiden name or her husbands name?

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
In my experience a lack of age on a Family Search record doesn't mean there isn't one in the original register. Several nearby parishes in Norfolk include ages from time to time in the late 1700s, I'm curious if Runcton Holme is one of them.

The reason an age would be useful is to confirm that this is the correct Margaret, as I know everything about her, except for the date of her death. She was born in 1687 and would be 88 in 1775, which is making me extra cautious in linking this burial to her.
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
The archdeacon's transcript that year for Runcton Holme tells us that Margaret Goodale was a widow, and that the other two burials there were both men who were labourers.

The previous year's transcript gives ages and where they were living, i.e. Elizabeth Goodale, Runcton, 11 years.
In 1777 the AT gives relationships, i.e. son of, wife of. But again, no ages.

So it seems likely that different kinds of info will also be recorded in the Runcton Holme PR's at various times. But certainly worth a look.