Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2783 times)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice please.
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
 Hi everyone.
 I hope  it will be ok to ask this. But I'm in need of some advice.  As everyone  probably knows  I've been  asking for  help  on different  family members of mine.  Mostly  my grandad. And his mum. Not forgetting  my gran. 
I am  really  happy with everyone's  help.  I wouldn't have got this far without  your help. 
I now  need  some advice  please. If it is ok.
 Next week  I be  going  to  apply for my grandads death certificate.  Which I will  receive in the post.
 Then my next  certificate  I am going to apply for  his my  great grans birth certificate.   A few weeks later.
Here is where I need advice.   I have found out my great gran Frances Jones.  Passed away  in 1967 age 77.  But she was living in hattersly Hyde.  So I would have to get her death certificate from tameside register office. 

So what I was thinking  is. When I  apply for my great grans birth certificate.  Should I put down her birthday  being  12th March.  Then 1890?  Because  if she was 77 when she passed away in 1967.  I came up with the year 1890 when she was born.  And would I put Manchester.? Also if it's not asking  to much.  Should I  need to put her parents  names  down. The names  I was kindly  given  by some members. 
I just want to make sure. So when I go to apply for my grandads death certificate. I could ask the   registra office  person  if they  look it up for me.  I did  this for a certificate  once before.  They put a number at the top right corner of the document  I had to fill in.  Which was my grandads birth certificate.

Anyway  thank you again for your help and time.  I really do appreciate everyone's help.
Thank you again

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Do you not have the GRO references for these deaths?  If you do you can order the certs by using the references given.

Example below

Deaths Sep 1960 
WHITE    Thomas    68    Blackpool    10b   486

This shows that the death was registered in the September quarter 1960, Registration District is Blackpool, Volume No. is 10b and Page No. is 486

Certs cost £9.25 from the GRO website.  Local registry offices tend to charge about £10 for certs.  Even if you order from abroad I think the charge is the same.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
You could always write to the GRO first before ordering to check the cost.

Before you order a certificate
If you would like to ask us a question, or want to know more about one of our services before you order a certificate you can email us directly at certificate.services@gro.gsi.gov.uk

If you do not wish to receive an autotext response please include GQ in the subject field of your email. We will respond to your email within 5 working days.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Frances Jones - June quarter 1891 - Warrington Registration District - Volume 8C, page 222

And we know, from the baptism record at St Elphin in Warrington, that Frances was born 11 March 1891.

The address in 1891 for William and Ellen was 12 Brick Street, Warrington.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
If you order death certificates for events before 1969, actual dates of birth are not recorded. Information on certificates is informant driven, even today, and information recorded may be sightly incorrect but not deliberately supplied as such.

If you order an historic birth or death certificate from the General Register Office at Southport, use the reference number from the many sites such as freebmd, FindMyPast, Ancestry or familysearch. If you do not use the reference number but give a date of birth or date of death which may be incorrect you might not get the certificate as the staff there may consider this to be a mis-match.

Again, if you order a birth cert from the GRO without a reference you will be asked to supply a place of birth which you may not know.

The same applies if you try to order a certificate locally.

Ordering a death direct from Warrington will cost £10 plus postage either £3 1st class or £1.50 2nd class, you will also have to answer questions you may not have the answers to

https://registrars.warrington.gov.uk/rafts/CopyCertificates/Process/Certificate/CertificateOrderForm.aspx

such as the actual pace of death

Most people here choose to use the General Register Office with reference numbers for certificates.

Hope this helps.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I just checked Tameside register office, it seems you annot order direct from them, you have to follow a link

https://www.tameside.gov.uk/copycertificates

Again you may not hve all the information they need, they do not receognise the GRO reference number system.

Certs cost £10 plus £2 postage.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been using the Gro.gov site & ordered a couple of death certificates online it is cheaper & you get an electric copy in a few days.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Frances Jones died in Ashton under Lyne Hospital in 1967.

Have you checked the 1939 Register to see her date of birth?

What was her maiden name?

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 January 18 00:53 GMT (UK) »
 Hi.
My great gran Frances Jones.  Was her birth name.  So Jones was her maiden name  as she never married. Before or after the birth of your son Alfred evan Jones. 

Thank you.