Author Topic: Same Coat of Arms different Crests  (Read 3495 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same Coat of Arms different Crests
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
The College of Arms quoted me £60 for a copy of a grant of arms
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I sent in the form.  I'll be able to let you know what they say.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
£60.00 not too bad.  Did it have the information on you needed.  In my case that would be who and when?

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
£60.00 not too bad.  Did it have the information on you needed.  In my case that would be who and when?
I haven't ordered a copy as yet because I'm not convinced there is a link between my husband's family and this one. I enquired because an old family tree stated they were descended, I am fairly sure this was a lie!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
By way of an update,

I've made contact with the Chester and York Heralds at the Royal College of Arms.   I think the Chester Herald will be handling it for us.   

Also,  we have made contact with the person who publishes the website we found the coat of arms with the griffin on http://www.berkshirehistory.com/gentry/ilsley.html . Turns out he is a direct descendant of an Ilsley as well.....

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

We've had our report from the Chester Herald after commissioning an hours of his time.   He was unable to locate a source for the crest and is firmly of the opinion that this is a self assumed crest.   He also states that it is very difficult to ascertain from historical records, accurately the provenance/pedigree of lines resulting from individuals who went to 'the new world' due to the lack of records and the inaccuracies therein of existing data.