Author Topic: Anyone decipher this occupation please  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Lapis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone decipher this occupation please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 October 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Nothing to add except (as someone interested in language and word origins), I enjoyed this thread and learned a lot.

For anyone interested I came across this blog
 https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/11/monger.html that explains how public connotations with the the word 'monger' have changed over the centuries.

Mike

Interesting. My partner is a wordmonger and a wordsmith.  ;D

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 October 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi DIAshurst
I see your temptation but in my census occupations search I did not find anywhere a word monger.  I found several other types of mongers, and in Cumberland, there are
wood mongers in different Cumberland census ie
Casson, Drummond, Harrison, Hudson, Jameson Kirkby, Nicholson, Ostle Robinson Warwick, Wood 

In nearby Dumfriesshire there are two families of Bryden who had iron mongers in the family but none found in Cumberland

that funny description iron ore miner and newsagent lead me to Thomas Dixon Whitehaven which led me to William Dixon b Caton Lancashire but now 1881 in Market st  Bootle staying with his brother Jabez Dixon b 1843a General Ironmonger Master who has wife Mary b 1847 Caton Lancashire Any connection?
happy to look more but need some more info
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline DIAshurst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 March 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
Please excuse me if I have not thanked you for your work in this area.  I cannot tell if this is the case.
I don't recognise the names that you quote in your reply, they have not appeared in my research.