Author Topic: Anyone decipher this occupation please  (Read 9933 times)

Offline Clearygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone decipher this occupation please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 March 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
Yes word monger just google it. Not very flattering!

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 March 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Yes word monger just google it. Not very flattering!

Depends in which context it is used. Nothing discreditable about wood monger, or ironmonger amongst others.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
From the OED
Monger: As the final element in compounds designating a dealer, trader, or trafficker in a particular commodity. (Now the principal use.)
Originally literally a trader, as cheese-, coster-, fish-, flesh-, ironmonger, etc.; but in formations dating from the 16th cent. also in extended use (frequently derogatory), as ceremony-, fashion-, mass-, merit-, news-, pardon-, scandal-monger, etc.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Nothing to add except (as someone interested in language and word origins), I enjoyed this thread and learned a lot.

For anyone interested I came across this blog
 https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/11/monger.html that explains how public connotations with the the word 'monger' have changed over the centuries.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra. I’ve searched and searched trying to find him and an associated occupation without success. My suspicion of it being Word was fueled by his sons occupation being shown as ‘iron ore miner and newsagent’ in one of the census’s post marriage.

I'm from the era when I was sent to the ironmonger shop at the top of the street to buy bundles of chopped wood to light our coal fire. (each piece of wood about the length of a man's hand).

You've mentioned the local mine and your ancestor could even have been supplying the mine with lengths of wood, eithe to be used as pit props to stop the roof from caving in or to maintain the wooden wagons.  We'd probably use the term timber merchant these days.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Yes I remember that too Rena...being sent to get a bundle of kindling (Chopped Firewood) to get the fire going  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 March 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
Yes I remember that too Rena...being sent to get a bundle of kindling (Chopped Firewood) to get the fire going  ;D
Carol

When you think about it, all manner of carriers and baskets were made from wood that had been coppiced - in others words, trees such as willow, hazel, ash, etc., hadn't been allowed to grow into mature trees, so that shoots from the base of the tree could be harvested each year to be woven into saleable goods.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 April 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra. I’ve searched and searched trying to find him and an associated occupation without success. My suspicion of it being Word was fueled by his sons occupation being shown as ‘iron ore miner and newsagent’ in one of the census’s post marriage.

Hello

Interesting the reference to Newsagent.

----------

Monger being a Merchant or Trader.

A Word Monger maintained a written inventory of goods to be sold usually for a dealer, or trader.

When I was a Buyer at a Merchants handling a purchase of 16,000 items, we had a chap that prepared an "Indent " of our stock, for the purpose of requistioning or ordering goods, (like a 'stock check').

He could have been called our Word Monger, whose job it was to maintain names of items and their quantities held in stock, for the purpose of buying and selling (trading).

I would get carbon copies of the pages from his Book and decide whether to place an order, with the manufacturers of those items. The order always had to reach minimum order value, to be 'carriage paid' by the supplier.

It was no good our customers coming in and we were out of stock, as we also prided ourselves with holding items and tools, nobody else stocked.

Now much of this is computerised and only requires a stock check against a massive print out.

The inventories and checks can also discover amounts lost due to theft and resulted in five dismissals, when checked against Orders and Sales figures.

Mark

Offline richardanthony

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
i would say woodmonger but cross check this with any census information you have and look around the other inhabitants to see what they did. What year was the marriage?