Author Topic: Marriage at Roscommon  (Read 13530 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Marriage at Roscommon
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Please could some kind Rootschatter have a look at the PR for the details of this marriage:
Basil SANDYS widower, to Caroline GREENHILL, 29 March 1840 St Mary, Lambeth.
I am particularly keen to know if Basil's age and father are cited.

(I have blown my research budget on Basil's family, so I would honestly prefer not to buy a cert  if this is another red herring!)

Many thanks
Philip

Links to thread on USA board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=248602.msg6408939#msg6408939
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 marriage St Mary, Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,

The record on Ancestry is that of the banns of a Basil Sandys (Widower) to Caroline Greenhill (widow). There is no date against the names of the couple as there are against all the other couples on the page. This leads me to wonder if the marriage actually took place at all! There is no record of the marriage taking place on the 29th March 1840 at St Mary, Lambeth. This is presumably the date of the last reading of the banns.

FreeBmd shows only the one marriage of a Basil Sandys as follows:

Sandys, Basil; March Qtr 1855; Strand; Volume 1b Page 412

Possible spouses on the same page are Catharine Otter & Catherine Shepheard.

Apologies if the 1855 marriage is already known about!

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Is this him in 1841?  No lady wife present.

Basil Sandys 40 born Ireland
Edwin Sandys 13

And a Caroline Greenhill 30 in 1841 with a 12 year old which, if the right Caroline, might prove they never actually married.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1840 marriage St Mary, Lambeth COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.

In the other post I linked to, there is a lot of information, but the challenge with Basil has been to find a marriage apart from the one to Catherine OTTER in 1855.  Most of his children are documented, it's their mothers we are having trouble tracing.

Philip

Offline constable

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
I believe Basil Sandys, 1800-1871 married a Catherine Devany about 1820. They had several children. There is a headstone in Derrane cemetery  in Co. Roscommon recording her death in 1830, aged 30. She was the first of 3 Catherines Basil married.
Patrick Flanagan

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
I believe Basil Sandys, 1800-1871 married a Catherine Devany about 1820. They had several children. There is a headstone in Derrane cemetery  in Co. Roscommon recording her death in 1830, aged 30. She was the first of 3 Catherines Basil married.
Patrick Flanagan

A warm welcome to Rootschat and many thanks for this information.

I had the name Catherine Devany, but didn't know about Derrane.  This is an exciting new lead.  It is also rather intriguing because I have images of baptisms in London:
Mary Ann daughter of Basil SANDYS & Catherine (formerly DEVANEY) born 2 Dec 1831 bapt 10 Jan 1832.
Basil son of Basil SANDYS and Catherine (formerly DEVANEY) born 23 Feb bapt 23 Mar 1834.

As far as wives go, I have:
Catherine DEVANEY (baptisms of children c1826-34, no marriage yet found)
Catherine GERAGHTY (daughter born c1841, no marriage found)
Catherine OTTER (nee BIRMINGHAM (m1855 Strand, London, 3 children)
also Caroline GREENHILL - banns 1840 but no marriage.

Is there a website link to view the 1830 grave details?

Philip

Offline constable

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Philip. What I have is a transcription from a gravestone in Derrane cemetery where many of the Sandys are buried. It reads as followe;
Devaney. Lord have mercy on the soul of Daniel Devaney who depd. this life 3rd Jan. 1833 aged 78 yrs also his daughter Catherine Sandys who departed this life 1st Feb 1830 aged 30 yrs. Also six of their children who died younger. Also his son Thomas who died 25th May 1835 aged 14 yrs. Also his wife Margaret Devaney alias Judge who depd. this life 21st Jan 1865 aged 78 yrs. May they rest in peace.
The death year of 1830 does not tally with the 2 later births in London. Maybe the year on the headstone was transcribed wrongly.
I have a date of September 21 1837 for Basil's marriage to Catherine Geraghty.
Newspaper reports for June 1839 state that Basil was arrested and committed to the county gaol for a violent assault on his eldest daughter, one of six children from a previous marriage. The young girl was aged 13 and when Basil returned after being out for a short time he accused her of neglecting to attend to her brothers and sisters. He beat her with the bone handle of a whip, fracturing her skull. The newspaper report states that his wife, the step-mother of the children was not at home at the time. It appears Basil was not charged as he shows up in London in 1840
I have been researching the story of Basil's life for some time with a view to writing an article for a Roscommon Journal. As some descendants still live in the area it is possible the item may not be published.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
If you don't already have them I have images of Basil's Excise papers and various workhouse admissions as well as a few BMDs and census pages which I could send you.  (If interested, send me a personal message)

I had the 1837 marriage date for Basil and Catherine GERAGHTY but just can't find a registration for it.

The other thing that occurs to me is about Catherine SANDYS daughter of Daniel DEVANEY.  Could there have been more than one Catherine DEVANEY who married a SANDYS?

Philip

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
This is fun.  constable and I have shared information, but it still hasn't been possible to pin down details for Basil's first two marriages.

1) to Catherine DEVANEY (eldest daughter born c1826.  Marriage probably in Roscommon)
2) to Catherine GERAGHTY? ? 21 Sep 1837. (daughter born c1840)
3) to Caroline GREENHILL (banns 29 Mar 1840 Lambeth) NO MARRIAGE, NO KNOWN CHILDREN
4) to Catherine OTTER (nee BIRMINGHAM) 19 Mar 1855 Soho.  ALL DETAILS FOUND

With parents established in Roscommon and Basil working (mostly?) in England this search drags on.

Philip