Author Topic: Marriage at Roscommon  (Read 13704 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage at Roscommon
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
I know not what you want BUT have you tried Sandy instead??

Newspaper:    Leitrim Observer
Newspaper Content:    Mr R Sandy transferred from Carndonagh to Carrick Northern Bank
Date:    11 February 1905
Newspaper Subject:    Bank Northern (Carrick On Shannon)

Newspaper:    Leitrim Observer
Newspaper Content:    Transferred from Carndonagh to Carrick on Shannon Northern Bank.
Date:    11 February 1905
Newspaper Subject:    SANDYS M MISTER NORTHERN BANK CARRICK ON SHANNON
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
I know not what you want BUT have you tried Sandy instead??

I've tried SAND, SANDES, SANDIS, SANDY, SANDYS  (and replacing the first S with B or G) and just about every variation I can think of  :(

Still no joy with weddings or baptisms apart from those cited on the other thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=248602.msg6408939#msg6408939

I'll get there one day!
Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline constable

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Phi;ip, don't forget that Basil and Catherine Geraghty also had a son James, born about 1846. When he married Margaret White in February 1873 he gave his age as 26. He died in Durham Lodge in 1904, aged 58.
I can get a marriage cert for Eliza Aldwell Sandys in 1860, do you think it would be of any help? She must have been quite young and also it is peculiar that she married in Banbridge, Northern Ireland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Phi;ip, don't forget that Basil and Catherine Geraghty also had a son James, born about 1846. When he married Margaret White in February 1873 he gave his age as 26. He died in Durham Lodge in 1904, aged 58.
I can get a marriage cert for Eliza Aldwell Sandys in 1860, do you think it would be of any help? She must have been quite young and also it is peculiar that she married in Banbridge, Northern Ireland.

When he married Margaret White in February 1873 in Cloverhill RC Church!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:40 BST (UK) »

So not RC...

Offline constable

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Basil's brother, William was a major landowner  in Derrane, Co. Roscommon at the time of Griffiths Valuation in 1857-58. Martin Geraghty, maybe father or brother of Catherine who married Basil leased 10 acres in the area from Robert Goff. and a Margaret Devany leased 4 acres from William Sandys.
This suggests that two of Basil's wives, Catherine Devany and Catherine Geraghty would have been neighbours of the Sandys.
Philip, I have doubts about the Catherine Geraghty you found in Dublin having any connection.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:49 BST (UK) »

Pedigree of Sandys of Derham Lodge, Co Roscomon, 1788-1924. GO MS 172: 215

Durham Lodge (H5040)
Elizabeth Sandys advertised for sale "Durham Lodge" and 39 acres in July 1854. The Sandys house was valued at £3 in the 1850s and in 1906. This house was held in fee by William "Sands" at the time of Griffith's Valuation. It is not named on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but is shown as Durham Lodge on subsequent editions. A farm is still extant at the site.

Edwyn Sandys Reynolds, a Protestant gentleman, resided at "Darham" in 1749. Robert Sandes was living at Sandfield House, barony of Athlone, in county Roscommon in the early 19th century. By the mid 19th century a Sandys family also held some land in Derrane, barony of Ballintober South, including Durham Lodge. James Sandys of Durham Lodge owned 158 acres in the 1870s.

Offline constable

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 September 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Sandys family were Protestant but Basil was definitely Catholic, perhaps he changed to facilitate his marriage to Catherine Devany. His son James and his family were also Catholic. Basil's daughter Eliza Aldwell Sandys may have been Protestant.
Basil and his brother William contributed to the building of a Catholic church at Derrane [pronounced Darn]

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
I'd be inclined to get

Pedigree of Sandys of Derham Lodge, Co. Roscommon, 1788 -- 1924.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms. 172, p. 215

which, as it is only 1 page would be very very reasonable, and usable a a Source for all on it.