Author Topic: James Dyke c1800  (Read 924 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Dyke c1800
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me distinguish between two people here.

My ancestor James Dyke was born in Weston Bampfylde in about 1800. The problem is that I have two candidates for his christening.

There is a James Dyke christened in South Cadbury on 29 September 1800 - son of John and Ann

This James is described as being "of Weston Bampfylde" so I suspect that's where he was born.

The other James was christened in 1799

James Dyke son of Robert and Joanna Dyke christened 15 April 1799 Weston Bampfylde

I have James as the son of Robert and Joanna on my tree and this seems to confirmed by details sent to me by other researchers. However my James might also be the son of John and Ann.

I am pretty sure my James is the son of Robert and Joanna though.

If my James was the son of John and Ann then he and his wife, Martha Huson Ryall, were probably cousins! John married Ann Mitchell in Weston Bampfylde in 1792. She was born in South Cadbury in 1771 and her parents were John Mitchell and Ann Ryall. John Mitchell and Ann Ryall were married in South Cadbury in 1768. What is interesting here is that Anne Ryall was the older sister of Rev Narcissus Ryall, who was Martha Huson Ryall's father. If my James was the son of John and Ann, rather than the son of Robert and Joanna, then he and Martha Huson Ryall would have been cousins.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

matt