Author Topic: Brennan/Murphy/Kelly  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Kellysgirl!

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brennan/Murphy/Kelly
« on: Monday 15 January 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I have located a James Brennan and Ann Murphy wedding that took place on October 5, 1841. This wedding was recorded in Queens County. It appears the wedding took place in Maryborough....however, next to the couple's name is also the name of another place....looking like a Cullen....??

I have looked up baronies....one being a Cullinaugh - however, Maryborough is in the barony of Maryborough East I believe. Just trying to figure what this other place name could mean.

Looking for any other Brennan/Murphy ties in this area - two very common surnames, I know.  The couple had three children in Ireland: James, born 1842, Patt (Patrick) born 1843/4; and Elizabeth (Bessie) born 1845. It is believed that the couple came to America in the year 1847.

Family stories have the James Brennan died either on a ship or shortly after emigrated to America. Ironically, a witness to the Brennan/Murphy was a Lawrence Kelly. Ann Murphy Brennan would later wed Lawrence Kelly....the couple showing up in the 1850 census in America in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania.

My family line comes from Lawrence and Ann Murphy (Brennan) Kelly, however, the entire Brennan/Murphy/Kelly family has remained in touch. Ann Kelly's son, Patrick Brennan became a Jesuit priest and was associated with Georgetown University. Another son, James Kelly, also became a Jesuit priest and was associated with Holy Cross and Georgetown as well.  Ann's daughter Elizabeth Brennan would marry a Michael Nugent with their son, John Charles, "J.C." Nugent, would become an American actor and screenwriter who appeared in 20 films between 1929 and 1943.

So hoping someone else has an additional story to tell about James Brennan, Ann Murphy Brennan Kelly, and Lawrence Kelly and that we can begin to connect the dots. Best of luck in everyone's search for family history!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan/Murphy/Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 January 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
The web link to what you are looking at is  ??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Cullenagh Townland??

https://www.logainm.ie/en/27894

Just a guess as I don't know what you looked at.

Offline Kellysgirl!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
The original wedding document is in the Select Catholic Marriage Registers, 1775-1912 for Laois (Queens) County, Portlaoise (Maryborough).

A gentleman on the Ireland Reaching Out website looked up townlands at the time of the wedding..he told me that there was no townland that began with a Cullen...which are the only letters that are quite visible on the document.

Cullenagh Townland is in Cullenagh Barony...whereas Maryborough  - which is where the wedding took place - is in Maryborough East Barony....

Thank much for your comments:)

On the wedding document only the letters Cullen (or in) are visible....there does not appear to be

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
A Barony is a Barony.

A Parish is a Parish.

One has nothing to do with the other!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 January 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
The site with the parish registers is not working to day so we can't look at the record, in the meantime this is the Civil Parishes in the RC Parish of Maryborough, click on each one to see the townlands in the parish
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_in_rc.php?churchid=714&county=Laois&church_name=Maryborough

and bear in mind marriages  generally took place in the brides parish so he may be from another parish

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 January 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
The site with the parish registers is not working to day so we can't look at the record, in the meantime this is the Civil Parishes in the RC Parish of Maryborough, click on each one to see the townlands in the parish
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_in_rc.php?churchid=714&county=Laois&church_name=Maryborough

and bear in mind marriages  generally took place in the brides parish so he may be from another parish

Of course they can, similarly a Parish can be in 2 counties as a Parish is not restricted a a County Border as one has nothing to do with the other.

Offline Kellysgirl!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 January 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you...I appreciate the help

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 08:07 GMT (UK) »
The marriage
Left hand page
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634502#page/77/mode/1up

Looks like Cullena, allowing for pronunciation I'd say it's Cullenagh.