Author Topic: Destitute Asylum Adelaide -  (Read 4863 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Destitute Asylum Adelaide -
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 05:27 GMT (UK) »
This is odd.........Solomon Richards and wife Mary Ann had a burglary at their premises in Currie St Adelaide in 1863.......

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/50178972

Essie

Doesn't say he was actually there.  If the Golden Fleece was a hotel it may have been necessary to be known as Mrs Solomon RICHARDS.  Mary Ann transferred the licence of her former hotel the Adelaide Hotel in Sept 1858  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88819787

Mary Ann RICHARDS landlady of the Golden Fleece Inn.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31831885

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 06:06 GMT (UK) »
...Robert John Waldon/Waldron/Walden RICHARDS brn 1852
From the Trove I have found 3 court articles and it seems that Solomon kept Robert with him for a while before leaving him with a Mr David Hope around the end of 1856 promising to pay for the boys keep. Mr Hope it seems couldn't afford to keep him and wanted him entered into the asylum. The court at first wouldn't do this. The 3 articles make for some sad reading.
Adelaide Times 3rd March 1857
Adelaide Observer 7 March 1857
Adelaide Times 17 March
He was eventually entered into the asylum.
According to the index to the Register of cases of destitution (GRG 28/4), a child, Robert RICHARDS, entered the Destitute Asylum in 1857. According to the index to the Nominal list of orphan and deserted children taken out of the Destitute Asylum (GRS 3822), a Robert RICHARDS, aged 8 1/4, left the Asylum on 10 October 1860 and was placed with a Mrs Kilworth in Roper Street Adelaide.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Melia     May I suggest that it was your Solomon RICHARDS who married Mary Ann ALLEN nee CHENHALLS, a widow, and as she stated in court, her husband Solomon left the colony never to be seen again.

Cando

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
According to the index to the Register of cases of destitution (GRG 28/4), a child, Robert RICHARDS, entered the Destitute Asylum in 1857. According to the index to the Nominal list of orphan and deserted children taken out of the Destitute Asylum (GRS 3822), a Robert RICHARDS, aged 8 1/4, left the Asylum on 10 October 1860 and was placed with a Mrs Kilworth in Roper Street Adelaide.

John KILWORTH of Roper St died 15 April 1867, in his 42nd year
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article39181899

Modified to add: John and Charlotte KILWORTH (nee BURBIDGE) arrived SA in 1849 on the Navarino
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50247526
and had 6 children born and registered in Adelaide between 1850 and 1862.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Melia.

Has anyone researching this family compared the signatures of groom on the 1845 English marriage cert, the 1857 South Australian marriage certificate and the 1861 marriage certificate in NSW?

Cando

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:07 GMT (UK) »
This death of a child of the RICHARDS/PARKER marriage in 1886 suggests Annie was using the surname PLUMB
1886 C1902 Annie Waldon Rookley PARKER
Parents John Harry Rookley PARKER &  Annie RICHARDS ** late PLUMB

Sue

I have slightly misinterpreted the term "late" in connection with the name PLUMB.

It was the name she was formerly known as.
Here is the marriage in QLD
1867 C188 Annie RICHARD (sic)
John PLUMB

I have not located a marriage for Annie PLUM/RICHARDS to PARKER.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »

I would dearly love to find these children in the asylum (my own proof) and what became of them as they are my link to my family (via their mother) but can fin no trace of them apart from Hannah/Anna whom i believe married a William Price then a Henry Rookley Parker (or maybe John Henry Rookley Parker). I cannot find her death though. She was living Maryborough and Millchester in Queensland at some point.
Any help much appreciated

The Annie RICHARDS who had children with William PRICE cannot be the same as she who married PARKER. She would be having children with 2 different men in the same time frame.

Annie who married PLUMB and partnered PARKER may not be the daughter you are seeking.
Perhaps neither are correct.
Adding- The WALDRON in the naming of one PARKER child is a small clue however :)
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 08:43 GMT (UK) »
It seems about 1 month (possibly) after arriving in Adelaide Eliza gave birth to a daughter, Eliza.
Another researcher has it that the mother Eliza died 3 weeks after giving birth. I haven't been able to find anything on this death from here in England.
Melia

Eliza RICHARDS was interred at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide on 16 Jul 1856 aged 38 years.
Located of her grave is unknown.

Her death was not registered.

Cando

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!!
Thank you all so much. Taken me a while to go through all your responses but i am very grateful for them all. Got  a lead now to Robert leaving the asylum although that's it really. I have put all the children into different databases but apart from Hannah/Anna (and now maybe Annie lol) there is nothing. obviously Hannah/etc ended up in Queensland although i can't find her death.
So replying to some of the replies and information.
I have Solomons death but not his actual certificate. Got newspaper articles on it. I also don't have any actual marriage certificates only info from indexes.
I also discovered two "Solomon Richards" .
My Solomon(was born 1822) was married to Margaret when he died in 1911 although she had previously passed away n 1905.
The other Solomon(born about 1838) was married to a Julia and he died in 1914.
I am sure it was my Solomon who married Mary Ann (landlady) as he deserted her as he had also deserted his children. And he would have been about 36 when he married her whereas the other Solomon would have only been about 20.
Solomon and Eliza did have a child Thomas who died before they emigrated.
The Family name changes all the time throughout history and also historical events. I have people who are Waldron one moment then they are Waldon or Walden in another census or childs baptism etc.. It can be very confusing!
Thank you for the article about the burglary. I am sure Solomon wasn't around then as he had deserted her and no mention of him.
Thank you also for the information on Annie/Hannah living as pensioner. I had searched for Anna and Hannah but not Annie!!! The PLUMB bit also confused me . I am going to go back over the 3 marriages and children using indexes to try and work it out. But it seems PLUMB and PARKER ; are right and maybe the PRICE is wrong.
That leaves me back with my actual intention of trying to find the other 3 children.
Thank you for the index info and knowing that Robert was placed with someone although i still can't trace him .I will try and contact SRSA and see if they will give me the information or whether they want me to use a researcher.
Thank you once again and i will keep checking on here in case anyone else comes up with anything

Melia