Author Topic: Destitute Asylum Adelaide -  (Read 4854 times)

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Destitute Asylum Adelaide -
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh I forgot, I do have a copy of Solomon Richards and Eliza Waldron's marriage certificate but he didn't actually sign it. Obviously couldn't read or write. It is just his mark which is a cross.

Melia

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »

Thank you also for the information on Annie/Hannah living as pensioner. I had searched for Anna and Hannah but not Annie!!! The PLUMB bit also confused me . I am going to go back over the 3 marriages and children using indexes to try and work it out. But it seems PLUMB and PARKER ; are right and maybe the PRICE is wrong.

Melia

Please look again at replies #23 and #24 to clarify the position of PLUMB, PRICE, PARKER .

Only one marriage for Annie has been located.

As I have previously, noted there are several advertisements with Annie offering services as a ladies' nurse as early as 1881. This is simply a way of saying she offers midwifery and after-care for a charge.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/76719104
AND by 1898 accommodation as well.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/84859674

There was not a Government Aged Pension in Australia until the first decade of the 20th century.

A possibility as the death of John PLUMB
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/21815085

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Henry Rookley PARKER died in 1904

1904   C1992 Harry Rookley   PARKER
Parents Thomas PARKER & Sarah ROOKLEY

He is buried at Lynd Highway Cemetery, Charters Towers.

Section 25. Plot 415. Grave 2421.
Date 1/01/1904
PARKER Harry Rookley
Cause Senile Decay
NEAR 2436
Officiating, REV.Beown
Interred 2/01/1904
Age 0 (read this as not known)
Sex M
Headstone,No
Denom, Anglican

No others share his grave.

Also a burial for the deceased child, Annie at Pioneer Cemetery

Section 5. Plot 0. Grave 1520.
Date 29/01/1886
PARKER Annie Waldron R.
Cause   Gastro Enteritis
Officiating. Not Known
Interred 29/01/1886
Age 1. Sex F
Heastone, No
Denom. Anglican

http://www.charterstowers.qld.gov.au/cemeteries-search

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BPLondon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 May 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Melia, I may be able to shed light on the PRICE/PLUMB side of the Annie Richards saga. Annie was my Great, Great Grandmother (through her first marriage to William Price). Annie did indeed marry a PARKER after my Great, Great Grandfather (William Price) died at a relatively young age due to an accident. The children of the first marriage were put into an orphanage and Annie then married a PARKER and moved to Charters Towers (she came back to retrieve the youngest child) and had a number of other children with Mr PARKER. My Great Grandfather was one of the children left behind in the orphanage. The PLUMB name has always been a mystery in the family as we were aware that Annie used the name (rather than PRICE). We have never been able to establish why. Annie is definitely the same woman. We think that there may have been something to do with Annie's first husband (my Great, Great Grandfather) 'jumping ship' (a common occurrence) when he arrived in Australia in around 1866 on the Golden South (at the port of Maryborough in Queensland). As I see that Solomon Richards eventually died in Maryborough, it seems as though Annie was based there at the time that my Great, Great Grandfather arrived. Perhaps her father had moved there after his various marriages and some of the children from his first marriage followed him there from Adelaide.
I am Australian but have lived in London for the past 27 years and would love to reach out separately to discuss the family tree further as we are related through this interesting/messy side of the family. PS Annie had a lot of children in total and her children all had large families - there are many, many, many descendants of the Richards in Australia.

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Oh BPLondon,
I have only just seen your reply on here.
For some reason i didn't get a mail saying someone had posted a reply. Nevermind i can respond now.

I have the newspaper cuttings on your Grt Grt Grandfathers accident and have copies of births and i believe baptisms of the children.
I will have to dig my folder out.
I wondered what would have happened to the children, i thought maybe they were all brought up with the Parker children. What a shame they were put into an orphanage considering what Annie went through as a child.
I have lots on Annie and her first husband, your grt grt grandfather. I would love to share information with you and maybe i have stuff you haven't and vice versa.
Annie is the link to my tree as her mother is a 3x grt aunt to me. I have been trying to find her siblings for years but so far to no avail and also i haven't found Annies death yet.
I live in Dorset!!!

Offline BPLondon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 21 June 20 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Melia,
Its great to hear from you! 170 years later and Waldron descendants meet up back in the UK!
I hope you are keeping well in these troubling times.
I guess this means we are related on the Waldron side? Poor Eliza Waldron Richards, her life was cut short in a terrible way on arriving in Australia. Annie and her father (Solomon) at least seem to have lived very full (and dramatic) lives. I do not have any photos of Hannah/Anna/Annie, but I do have a photo of one of her daughters with William Price (as an aside, my father was quite close to one of Annie's children who knew of her and that she had another family in Charters Towers). Despite being in an orphanage, I believe they kept in touch and he also knew his siblings who she had taken with her to the next marriage. I imagine they must have also known of Annie's father (Solomon Richards) who lived in the Maryborough area and had a large additional family with his third wife.
I would love to share what I do have. I also have family trees for Annie's 5 children with William Price (and their descendants) and subsequent 9 children with Harry Parker (I believe she had her last child when she was circa 50 years of age - Vietta - which seems remarkable, if that is indeed possible!).
I do not know what happened to Annie's siblings and whether they also left Adelaide. My email address is:

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Regards,
Benedict

Offline melia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 June 20 20:49 BST (UK) »
Benedict
i have sent you a personal message. I will also send my email in another personal message.
if you haven't used this site much, look in "my messages"

Melia