Author Topic: Lockharts - Lee Castle!  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lockharts - Lee Castle!
« on: Tuesday 16 January 18 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Jessie/Janet MAIN married John CARSWELL in 1891 at the Lee Castle, Nemphlar, Lanarkshire, she was the daughter of William Lockhart and Mary BYRCE, and she was born in 1868 and a twin to Mary Bryce MAIN, the story as told is that her parents were living there.

I am trying to find the link to the LOCKHART family and the Lee Castle, is there a kind person who may be able to help me, I would appreciate any help no matter how small.

Cheers

Cienna

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lockharts - Lee Castle!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Cienna,
Above info was a bit confusing and it wasn't clear that the twins were born to William Lockhart MAIN and Mary Bryce.

It seems that William was the son of John Main ( a farmer) and Christina Lockhart.
Christina/ Christian was still lving at 1861 and appears that she died in 1866.
Her death index states that her mother's maiden name was Young.

Probable birth: Christian Lockhart b 25 Aug 1793 Lanark.
 Parents William Lockhart and Elizabeth Young

1841 census shows that Lockhart was a  fairly common name and most were farmers/farm labourers at West Nemphlar

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
The family were living in Nemphlar on census day 1881 - William L Main, 54, land measurer DC; wife Mary, 49; Margaret, 21; Robert, 18; Mary, 14; Jessie, 12; Susan, 6; and William A L Main, grandson, 1. Mary sr born Campsie, Stirlingshire, all the rest born in (parish of) Lanark, Lanarkshire. However there is no address on the LDS transcription of the census. It is possible that there might be more on the original, available at modest cost at Scotland's People. The census indexes for 1891 and 1901 still list them in (the parish of) Lanark, so either of those may have a fuller address for where they were living.

So any connection to Lockhart must be before 1826/27 when William Lockhart Main was born. The first step is to find out who his parents were. Have you got a copy of his death certificate?

If not, you can get it from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost. William Lockhart Main died in (the parish of) Lanark in 1903, aged 78, and Mary Bryce or Main died in the same parish in 1901, aged 70. Their death certificates will tell you the addresses where they died, and (assuming the informant knew this) the full names of both sets of parents, including their mothers' maiden name. Then you can set about looking for a baptism record.

Edit: this post crossed with that of anne_p above.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for taking the time to reply, apologies for the confusion, I do have a lot of the info you have given me, I am trying to get back to find the connection to Lee Castle for an elderly person and he is unable to afford to pay for certificates of any kind.

He knows nothing of his family past his g-grandmother Jessie MAIN, it seems to be a hard task but will keep trying.

Cheers

Cienna.