Author Topic: Harper family, Quebec/Ontario  (Read 1994 times)

Offline SeanMurphy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harper family, Quebec/Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Murphy was a sister of my great-great grandfather, Charles Murphy.  Their father, Jacob Murphy, his wife, Mary (Black) and Elizabeth emigrated to Quebec in 1821, most likely from Antrim.  I have the family tree on Ancestry.com

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harper family, Quebec/Ontario
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sean, we have already been in contact through ancestry.com.

Does anyone have any tips for how I might learn more about William Harper? This is difficult because I really know nothing about his age or the states that he may have lived in. The Harper twins were either born in 'New York' or in Norwich, Connecticut, as given on Mary's death certificate. I take it to mean that the family moved around frequently before he likely died in the early 1840s. If I wager a guess, I'd say that if they were born in New York, it would more likely be somewhere closer to the Canadian border rather than somewhere like New York City since all of Elizabeth Murphy's family was in Canada.

I can try to contact Norwich, CT, to see if there are birth records available.

I see there's a William Harper born around 1816 who died in Norwich, CT, in 1866. I assume that William died before Elizabeth took the children and moved back to Canada, however perhaps they could have been separated and he stayed there if indeed the girls were born there. This would make him the right age, but I'm not so sure.