Author Topic: National Archives or Heritage Hub in Hawick  (Read 1785 times)

Offline CDR A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National Archives or Heritage Hub in Hawick
« on: Thursday 18 January 18 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,   
    I'm planning a trip to Roxburghshire from the USA, arriving in Edinburgh on Tuesday (June 12).  I will be leaving the area on Sunday (June 19).  I know that I want to spend at least one day at Borders Family History Society.  I'm trying to decide where I want to do research for the other days.  Does the Heritage Hub in Hawick have enough material to look through or would I be better off at the National Archives in Edinburgh (or is that too overwhelming).  Maybe Hawick has some local material?
     As background, I am researching my Johnston lines.  Robert Johnston m. 1796, Eckford, Helen Johnston.  He was from Selkirk (where I have a good lead), she was NOT from Roxsburghshire (only guesses).  They raised their family in Eckford and then moved to Cavers.  My goal is to make headway in identifying their parents.  She was buried in Eckford, while he was buried in Cavers.  I'll visit those cemeteries.  He was also a land steward at Stobs Cottage, so I'll be visiting there too.
      Clearly where I spend time researching will help me decide where I will stay during my visit as well. 
       Thank you in advance for any thoughts on Heritage Hub vs. National Archives, and any other local tips (for instance I plan to rent a car - crazy?).
Regards,
Chris

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives or Heritage Hub in Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 18 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when Robert Johnston and his wife died, and have you located them in any of the censuses?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 January 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that, in the UK, most rented cars are manual (stick shift) ;D
If you want an automatic, you will need to specify that when you book.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CDR A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2 and KGarrand - thank you for responding!
I love driving stick shifts, but it will be a fun challenge to shift gears with my left hand. 

For Robert and Helen (Johnston) Johnston - yes, I have 6 of 8 birth records for their children, 1841 census, 1851 census, Robert's second marriage record in 1844, their burial information from the Cavers/Kirkton & Eckford Roxburghshire Monument Inscription booklet, and his death certificate from 1855. 

For Robert, b. abt 1776, his death certificate indicated his parents were Robert Johnston and Margaret, and he was born at Selkirk.  Another researcher has ancestors Robert Johnson and Margaret Anderson, daughter Helen b. Selkirk in 1769 (bible entry).  I'm not finding a marriage or any children for this couple. They supposedly died in 1808 and 1809.  I want to work hard on this lead! (They may have been members of the Secession Church - not sure if that is why I can't find records on them.)

For Helen, b. abt 1771, my lead is very thin.  Her second son was named Charles.  There was a Charles Johnstone in the 1797/8 Farm Horse tax list in Eckford.  There was a James Johnston, b. 1787, in Eckford, whose father was Charles Johnston b. 1745 - all according to an online tree at ancestry.com.  I want to explore this lead for Helen's parents.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
My gt grandmother was a Johnston,  there are so many of them !!

I`ve been to Hawick Heritage Hub ( I live in Wales ) and found the staff there to be very helpful. I would suggest emailling them just to make sure they will be open, as sometimes they send an email ou to say they will be closed. It`s also better to book your computer, you can then access ScotlandsPeople website where you can look at as many records as you wish ; it was £15 per day last September but well worth it.

There are also MIs booklets and so much more.

I`ve just looked up the date of Hawick Common Riding, 24th June so you`ll just miss it, which is a shame.

Good luck

Offline CDR A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 18 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy
     Maybe we're related!  Great pointers.  Have you also been to the national archives in Edinburgh?  If you know, what unique records would I find at the national archives over the Hawick Heritage Hub?

Chris

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I`ve just looked at Hawick Heritage Hub website; it`s still £15 per day for unlimited access to ScotlandsPeople, also there is a page called HubCat which catalogues other collections they hold.

On my visits I`ve looked at Poorhouse records, school registers and trade directories.

I`ve not been to Edinburgh ( archives ), but would like to one day.