Author Topic: Eye of God...  (Read 6644 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eye of God...
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Viktoria, thanks again for all the details, appreciate !!! I wonder what was the real reason of all those Lancashire trials...obviously witches do not exist neither Santa does, hahaha

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
And some of us believe Christ didn't exist, either! ;D

Witches do indeed exist - some of them are friends of mine.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
You are right there's no credible historical evidences of such character as Jesus Christ. But as we know ...."Credo quia impossibile" (I believe it because it is impossible)...hahaha, yeah those Church Fathers, they were great at phrasing things, hahaha

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 January 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
and yeah I have a student of mine shes member of some non-denominational church (Pentecostal in fact) she always tells me how she met a devil-worshiper here and there or an actual witch etc...I don't know what to say...other than everyone has a right to have a hobby, and call themselves what they want unless its harmful to others. Those trials in the 1600's were based on some "harm, damage" those (I am pretty sure innocent) women reportedly done to locals etc...hard to figure what were real reasons...we had witches trials here in States during 1600's as well.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Am I wrong in thinking that there are Roman records that do indeed mention Jesus?
At the very least in connection with Christians who were sent to the arena as amusement for Roman crowds.
Why would people be sacrificed like that for their belief in a non existent person?
Whoever or whatever Jesus was it would be interesting to know exactly what records there are still in existence.
I did R.E. as a G.C.E.subject, it was dealt with like a history subject. Very matter of fact and factual.
Enlighten me someone please.
Viktoria.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 January 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Viktoria, unfortunately...there's no credible evidences in existence, all of the so-called "mentioning" of Christ by contemporary Roman sources were "added" to original text by Fathers of Church when they were "re-writing" the works of Antique authors.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Why would people be sacrificed like that for their belief in a non existent person?

Look at it from my point of view:
Why would people go to war for their belief in a non-existent person?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 January 18 21:29 GMT (UK) »
makes sense.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 January 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Re my reply about the Lancashire Golgotha. I was really just giving more info about the witches who are very well known in Lancashire. Even today it is traditional on Halloween to climb Pendle Hill. From the accounts I have read (Harrison Ainsworth ‘the Lancashire Witches’ and the Robert Neill ‘Mist OverPendle’ ) witchcraft was very much feared. Today we can explain most of it by realising they were just country people with an advanced knowledge of poisonous plants etc who played on the superstition of the times.
As witches were believed to have robbed graves in Newchurch graveyard that eye could well have been there to deter them