Author Topic: Notifications - not a rant  (Read 12912 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Notifications - not a rant
« on: Thursday 18 January 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
The subject of folk not returning to their threads to acknowledge answers has been brought up in many a "rant" thread.  This is not one more but rather an query/suggestion.

I have currently 7 threads to which I have put a lot of work and time into and given answers and to which reaction has come there none!  5 of the seven are queries by newbies who have not visited the site since posting the query.  I understand that this may be because they haven't set up their notifications properly on joining.
Query - should I perhaps send a PM or post again a polite "why the sam hill haven't you replied"  - which works best?
Suggestion, why not make Notify the default?  Do people really post and not want to be notified?

Only asking.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Notifications - not a rant
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The subject of folk not returning to their threads to acknowledge answers has been brought up in many a "rant" thread.  This is not one more but rather an query/suggestion.

I have currently 7 threads to which I have put a lot of work and time into and given answers and to which reaction has come there none!  5 of the seven are queries by newbies who have not visited the site since posting the query.  I understand that this may be because they haven't set up their notifications properly on joining.
Query - should I perhaps send a PM or post again a polite "why the sam hill haven't you replied"  - which works best?
Suggestion, why not make Notify the default?  Do people really post and not want to be notified?

Only asking.

MaxD

You get many who post expecting all their family tree to be done for them,  and they just read responses without acknowledging.

I've plenty like yours too....many of which I had further unposted information to add, but they never responded!

Best to just move on and ignore them if there is no response within a month or so as it looks like they are not really interested.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
True but in the case of new folk, I lean towards it not necessarily being their fault and wondered whether the system could help at all?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Notifications can  also depend on their internet provider, I am set up to receive them, but despite Sarah's help which improved matters temporarily, after a couple of days they stop again. I have given up now, I periodically look for replies by going into my profile and checking my posts.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with you, it is always nice to receive a simple thank you.

What I will say is, many especially those new to rootschat, if they have used other forums especially US ones will know that answers or rather add ons ( as most have nothing to do with the question originally asked) can take years to arrive.
Rootschat is one of a very small number is very different and you can almost 'expect' to get someone answer the query within minutes if not an answer, an encouragement or a signpost, rootschat is a very different 'animal' a community, supportive and specific
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't go in for notifications. I use the New Replies and Unreads at the top of the Index page. Maybe it might be worth drawing more attention to those.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
"Do people really post and not want to be notified?"

You bet they do.  It's much easier to just look at 'New Replies' at the top of the page.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps when we welcome a new poster it could be worthwhile to gently remind them to have notifications turned on - or as has just been suggested look at new replies - so that they can respond to the information given in replies. They obviously do want to have answers. Many of us have discovered that there are ways to tactfully request a thank you, although it is frustrating having to winkle it out.

rootschat is a very different 'animal' a community, supportive and specific
Wholeheartedly agree with this. We become blasé about instant answers from search engines; this cannot be applied to all knowledge & disciplines, genealogy being one of them.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't go in for notifications. I use the New Replies and Unreads at the top of the Index page. Maybe it might be worth drawing more attention to those.

Gadget

That is what I do now, I  just check via my profile periodically to see any I may have missed.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.