Author Topic: New Zealand Birth Records  (Read 943 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
New Zealand Birth Records
« on: Friday 19 January 18 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I learnt something today, and just in case I was not the only person who hadn't quite realised the ramifications, I am going to tell you about my ignorance.
I was looking for a birth in the 1880's, and was searching from 01/01/1880 - 31/12/1889, but could not find it.
Found the birth date from an online family tree, but I always have to check for myself.
Entered the birth date - and there he was - with the registration number in the 1910's.
Aha I thought and wrote off to BDM's.
I had to read the answer several times before the penny dropped.
It was a late registration - he was actually 30 - and no doubt he had applied for his own birth certificate.
I put in the search dates from 01/01/1880 - 31/12/1950 (really covering all bases now) and magically, there he was.
Lesson learnt - Do not be too restrictive with dates.

Now you can all go and have a laugh.
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Birth Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
 Okay I will laugh ;D ;D ;D ;D

Happens to us all ...whether on BDM's or elsewhere.  I could never find an ancestors birth, no matter how much I navigated Scotlands People. Just a couple of days ago, I finally found the oldest daughter's  birth/baptism record, even though I had searched with an "s" added on to the surname (just in case), over the last few years, and as I was browsing up the page, the elusive ancestor jumped out, he was an adult baptism, finally found the month and day of his birth.  He got baptised a couple of months before the birth.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Birth Records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes it can happen to anywhere, not only NZ.

I was at the GRO in Edinburgh last week and found a marriage dated 1935
The bride was born circa 1914, so I started to search for her birth.

It seems that her birth was either not registered at the time or it was missing.
Eventually, I found it.
  It was entered onto the register in 1935 showing that she was born in 1914, 2yrs  prior to her parents marriage.
Her father registered her birth just a few weeks prior to her marriage

She must have been asked to produce her BC for her impending marriage.

Her father?
His birth was another mystery that, after 4 years of searching, I finally managed to unravel during the same GRO visit and it's not at all what I expected !