Author Topic: May McIntyre born 1871 but I can't find birth registration!  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
May McIntyre born 1871 but I can't find birth registration!
« on: Saturday 20 January 18 03:23 GMT (UK) »
May McIntyre (later recorded as Annie May McIntyre) was raised by her paternal grandmother Miriam McIntyre on her property 'Glenoe' outside Penshurst, Victoria.
Miriam McIntyre had two sons; Peter Duncan born 1849 and James Malcolm born 1851.
Family lore has it that May was Peter's illegitimate daughter by a woman named Margaret Cameron.
From her age at death (more info below) May was born in about 1871.

Chronological Records of May
Branxholme School Register - Name: May M'Intyre; Parent or Guardian: Mrs M'Intyre; Residence of Parent or Guardian: Near Penshurst; Occupation of P or G: squatter; Age: 6 years 10 months; Date admitted: Oct 1878; Date leave: Dec 1878.

Electoral Rolls - Victoria, 1903, Grampians, Penshurst: McIntyre, May, Boram Boram, home duties
Same info for 1905 and 1909 (although in Wannon electorate then). Grandmother Miriam is at the same address in these rolls too.  In 1909 Miriam McIntyre died and it is after this that May is listed as Annie May on the electoral roll.
Victoria, 1912, Wannon, Penshurst: McIntyre, Annie May, Boram Boram, home duties
Same info for 1914, 1915 and 1917.
Victoria, 1919, Wannon, Penshurrst: McIntyre, Annie May, Glenoe, Boram Boram, Penshurst, home duties
Same info through 1921 to 1937.

James Malcolm McIntyre's will: written in 1922 it reads in part "I bequeath to Annie May McIntyre the proceeds of the policy of insurance on my life."

Death Registration: Annie May McIntyre, home duties, died 28 June 1940 at Hamilton Hospital aged 69, single; Usual residence was Glenoe, Penshurst; Father Malcolm James McIntyre, grazier, Mother unknown; Where born and how long in Australian states, stating which: unknown, lived in Victoria, unknown; Informant was the funeral home.

Attached is May's obituary from the Penshurst Free Press.

As you can see May's parentage remains a mystery.  Who was her father?  Peter, who certainly had a reputation that was not undeserved or James, who was apparently the 'good' son? 
I have searched and searched for her birth registration.  I'm really, really hoping Rootschat can help me with it!
Thank you, Marlene  :)
Sorry for the long-winded post but I thought I'd better put all the stuff I have found on her.
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: May McIntyre born 1871 but I can't find birth registration!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 18 04:24 GMT (UK) »
The birth may not have been registered and it is possible that she may have been registered with different given names.  Someone thought that James Malcolm McINTYRE was her father anyway.  The informant was obviously given the information about her father by someone in the family.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Glenoe was MacIntyre territory in Argyle.

Skoosh.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what happened to Margaret CAMERON, and was there a Margaret CAMERON around at the time?!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando, Skooosh and Bitzar  :)

Cando an interesting thing is that it was James Malcolm's family who stayed at Glenoe not Peter's.  Does that mean they told the funeral company her father was James? 
On the other hand it was a granddaughter of James who told me the Margaret Cameron story and Peter was the father.
Also had descendants of Peter tell me May was his.

Skosh Glenoe farm was named by Duncan McIntyre (husband of Miriam, father of Peter and James) after his birthplace in Scotland.  He called his first station Ardachy for the same reason.

Bitzar I've tried to find a likely Margaret Cameron in the Penshurst area. No luck though  :'(. There are a lot of Cameron's who came to this area (and many other Scottish families).

Thanks again for taking an interest,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 January 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a Margaret and Angus CAMERON who had several births around Hamilton

1862  Catherine CAMERON, father Angus, mother Margaret (Cameron), Hamilton reg 2604
1864  Unnamed female, sex unknown, father Angus, mother Margaret (Cameron), Hamilton, reg 2687
1871  Unnamed male, sex unknown, father Angus, mother Margaret (Cameron), BRAN (?), reg 987

Could the 1871 birth of a unnamed male be a mistake for a female.   Perhaps Angus and Margaret had parted ways by then.  Could this be May? 

Just a long shot  ;D  And doesn't really help if the father is given as Angus.

Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 January 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
And interesting that the 1871 birth was at Branxholme too!

bitzar.

ADD: The 1864 unnamed female birth seems to have a death in the same year.  Can't find the same for the 1871 birth.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 January 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Well I found this...

In my ADD above I said that the 1864 unnamed female seemed to a have a death in the same year.

CAMERON, Mysie
1864 (8895) at Hamilton South.
aged 8 (Prob 8 months)
F:CAMERON, Angus
M:Margaret (CAMERON).

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/

Then I found this...

Death in The State of Victoria:

CAMERON, Margaret
1871 (1264)
aged 33 at Hamilton.
F: CAMERON, Alexander
M: McPHEE, Mysie
Place of Birth: Fort William, Scotland
Spouse: CAMERON, Angus.

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/

Does this sugguest that this is the Margaret CAMERON who was the mother of Mysie CAMERON who died in 1864?!

Also interesting that Margaret died the same year as your Annie May was born.  Ros' theory re unnamed male actually being unnamed female is a goodie.

bitzar.

ADD: Angus CAMERON died at Hamilton in 1891. Father, John. Mother, Cath CAMERON.  aged 62.  He is buried beside Margaret at Hamilton Cemetery.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
 ???
Angus and Margaret Cameron are interesting.  I think I need to see if the child born to them in 1871 has a life I can follow after that birth record to rule it in or out as a possible 'May'. 
I hope the Hamilton History Centre has a family file on them... it would make it a bit easier!  I'll check on Wednesday.
I will contact the Penshurst Historical Society too to see if they have any more info on May or a Margaret Cameron from that area.
Fingers crossed,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)