Author Topic: Lookup request - West Glamorgan Archive Service - Mount Pleasant Hospital, Swans  (Read 3119 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - West Glamorgan Archive Service - Mount Pleasant Hospital, Swans
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 08:00 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1945 Electoral registers there was a Robert E(dward) RIDD and Alice V RIDD (nee BUCKLAND I believe) living in Townhill Road in 1945.  Somewhat ironically the building is called "Melbourne".

Tracing backwards it appears that Robert was born in Swansea around 1894, as was his father John.  However, it is not inconceivable that they are somehow related to the RIDD's in Barnstaple which would lend credibility to the home birth scenario. 

I have missed the thread her regarding the EVANS link but there are also a Catherine and John Evans living in Townhill Road as well.

Gareth, does it show who is living at Cartref, Townhill Road in 1945  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gareth_1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - West Glamorgan Archive Service - Mount Pleasant Hospital, Swans
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
In the 1945 register I was looking at there is no mention of Cartref in Townhill Road though I have since realised that in other electoral rolls of the time, there is also a reference to Townhill Road (Old).

There is a Cartref mentioned on Townhill Road (Old) in registers between 1935-1940 and the Evans (Richard Thomas and Myfanwy) are listed as living there, along with an Annie Laurian Jones (potentially a single woman in her late 20s, early 30s).  There appears to be no registers made during the war and when the records resume in 1945, the residents of Cartref on Townhill Road (Old) are listed as Einar T Morgan and Lilian M Morgan through until 1953 after which I can't find any more records.

On this basis it is reasonable to conclude that the Evans moved during the war period though I can't (yet) find where they have moved to.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gareth,  I was just checking as Aussieresearcher has the birth in 1944 at that address.  The other thread mentioned it may be the hospital/workhouse. 

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I live within sensible travelling distance of Swansea Civic Centre, the home of West Glamorgan Archives (WGA), and (at the moment) I have sufficient time on my hands tomorrow, to possibly visit WGA.  I shall enquire about the 100 year embargo on some records, before I set out!

I shall give a progress report in due course. 

In the meanwhile here is a link to the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map published in 1946 covering part of central Swansea, trace up the left hand edge looking for "INSTITUTE" adjacent to Nicander Parade, this is/was Mount Pleasant Hospital at that time.

Next, this link is a Google Maps link to Mount Pleasant Hospital as it was seen in the relatively recent past.

And finally this link makes interesting reading.

Regards, JohnG_Swansea

Good afternoon, I successfully made it to the (now called) Civic Centre, when I worked there, some years ago it was called County Hall, does a change of nomenclature signify progress, I wonder?

Anyway first things first, The Birth Records for Mount Pleasant Hospital are indeed held by West Glamorgan Archive Service (WGA), but, as suggested in an earlier message, are subject to the one hundred year embargo.  However, if you write (email?) to them {link} they will consider your request, but you will at a minimum, need to include a copy of the death certificate.

I can add further commentary to the saga/ mystery of "Cartef" but it is a little complicated and will follow in a separate post.

JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
The saga of 'Cartef' Townhill Road, Sketty.

An element of local knowledge can be both helpful or otherwise!  I trust what follows is considered to be helpful.  Firstly it might be helpful to download the following two maps of the same area of Swansea albeit the first is the Ordnance Survey 6inch/Mile (1:2500 ) for 1947 click here for a link and for 1953 click here for a link

Starting in the lower right corner of either/ both maps, scroll up & left looking for a 'College' (a somewhat prominent black blob), Townhill Road is immediately above the college.  On the 1953 map a row of semi-detached houses is clearly seen on the north (top) side of the road. 'Cartref' is the LH side of the third pair with the Bench Mark 'BM' arrow-head in the roadway.  Should any of you want to see the property highlighted with its name I have a hand-held photo of the 1:1250 Ordnance Survey series please send me a Personal Message with your home email address, please do not place it here on the forum

gareth_1971 has identified in today's reply #19 above, the occupants of 'Cartref' from 1945 to 1953, and I can add that the address changes to number 66 in the 1954 Electoral Register with the same residents, I have not looked any further.

JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JohnG

The maps do help.

Will look at contacting the West Glamorgan Archives re the birth records.

Thank you all for your assistance.

We are still at a loss as to lived at Cartref in 1944 the mystery continues.
But where to look now?

Aussie Researcher.