Author Topic: Drumshoreland Street Cottages, Broxburn,  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Listerdale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumshoreland Street Cottages, Broxburn,
« on: Saturday 20 January 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help please. According to the 1901 Census, my Great Uncle was living at Drumshoreland Street Cottages.  I have been unable to find this location. Their Children, My Cousins were born:-
1901 - Goshen Place
1902 - Easter Road
1905, 1906 & 1911 - Eastbourne Place
These location are taken from' Scotlandspeople' Statutory Birth Records.
On my visit to Broxburn I was able to find the locations of these birth, but not the 1901 Census location.

Listerdale

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Drumshoreland Street Cottages, Broxburn,
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Was the cousin born in 1901 born before or after the census? Could Drumshoreland Street Cottages have been in Goshen Place?

Or, noting that what is now called Station Road leads directly from the town centre to Drumshoreland Muir, I wonder if perhaps the cottages could have been in that street?

I see from comparing the old maps that Easter Road and adjacent streets must have been built around 1900 or so. Perhaps your great-uncle was one of the first occupants of a new housing development? See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.9337&lon=-3.4690&layers=168&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I've been having a "walk" through the enumeration book on Ancestry and it looks like Drumshoreland Street would have been in the area around Drumshoreland Station. It is difficult to be exact due to the poor transcriptions on Ancestry and the places mentioned not appearing on the maps.I thought you could look at the preliminary pages to find the description of the district but cannot find it now. Could you give your great uncle's name so I can check if I am in the right area.

Eric

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
it looks like Drumshoreland Street would have been in the area around Drumshoreland Station.
Hmmm. The 1905 valuation rolls lists 4 households at Drumshoreland Station.

Does the original source for the 1901 census listing say 'Street' or just 'St'? In other words, could this listing be Drumshoreland Station Cottages rather than Drumshoreland Street Cottages? If 'Street', could the enumerator have absent-mindedly transcibed 'St' on the householder's schedule as 'Street' instead of 'Station'?

What was your great-uncle's occupation?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian I think you are correct about it being the station. I was wondering why the station was not showing up. Ancestry has it transcribed as "Drumshoreland Stre Cottager". The occupations are all railway orientated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Aha! Ancestry strikes again, sowing confusion.

Listerdale, have you viewed the original of the 1901 censu?

Offline Listerdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 January 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your input.  There are no images of the 1901 Census on Ancestry, just the transcriptions.  I do have a copy from 'Scotlandspeople,gov.', Annotated " 1901 Census  672/ 1/ 36 (page 36), but the writing is faint and difficult to read - the location covers 2 lines - I do transcribing for Ancestry, and I could not decipher this.
I will go along with your thoughts that it is 'Drumshorelands Station Cottages'. there are 4 properties listed on the Census.
My Great Uncles worked in the Shale Mines, he is stated as the 'Head' of the household, with another family boarding.  All other occupants in the properties had railway occupations. Thank you again for your assistance.
Listerdale.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your input.  There are no images of the 1901 Census on Ancestry, just the transcriptions.
I am aware of that. It's why one should always get a copy of the original from SP.

I do have a copy from 'Scotlandspeople,gov.', Annotated " 1901 Census  672/ 1/ 36 (page 36), but the writing is faint and difficult to read
Contact SP and tell them you cannot read it. They will send you a re-scanned version.

I do transcribing for Ancestry, and I could not decipher this.
Poor image quality is probably the reason for many of the .... er, let's be polite and call them 'creative spellings' .... among Ancestry's transcriptions. (I found one family named Ballantyne transcribed as Lazzentyre. Having seen the original, the transcriber deserves a compliment for getting 4 letters right out of 10.)

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Page 36 would tie up with it being Drumshoreland Station Cottages. A lot of the book appears to be faint as the quality of the trancriptions in very poor around the page 36.