Author Topic: Birth / death records for Northern Ireland  (Read 1877 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth / death records for Northern Ireland
« on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to help a friend build her family tree, as she knows very little about her maternal line.

Her mother was Kathleen Mitchell, born in Lurgan (she thinks) in 1924 to Robert Mitchell and Annie Grogan.

The marriage certificate of Robert Mitchell and Annie Grogan shows that they married in 1926, so I guess that Kathleen was born before the marriage.

I cannot find a birth records for Kathleen under the name of Mitchell or Grogan, or even with the other spellings of the name that I have discovered along the way - Grugan, Groogan, Groggan.

Kathleen Mitchell died in 2007 in Birmingham.

If anyone can help, my friend and I will be very grateful.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth / death records for Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
The birth you are looking for is too recent to be online. GRONI's database covers births less than 100 years old, Irish Genealogy the same (but will only cover vital records from 1921 or earlier for N.I. counties so you won't get marriages or deaths after that year) and Family Search's Irish Civil Registration Index also stops at 1921 for N.I. counties.

If you wish to get a copy of a 1924 birth certificate it will need to be ordered from GRONI-
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
The 1926 marriage certificate should list residences of bride and groom as well as names & occupations of their fathers (unless illegitimate) which might help you identify Robert & Annie in the 1911 census (latest Irish one available).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
The birth you are looking for is too recent to be online. GRONI's database covers births less than 100 years old, Irish Genealogy the same (but will only cover vital records from 1921 or earlier for N.I. counties so you won't get marriages or deaths after that year) and Family Search's Irish Civil Registration Index also stops at 1921 for N.I. counties.

If you wish to get a copy of a 1924 birth certificate it will need to be ordered from GRONI-
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Thanks for that information. Now we realise why the birth of her mother isn't searchable.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
The 1926 marriage certificate should list residences of bride and groom as well as names & occupations of their fathers (unless illegitimate) which might help you identify Robert & Annie in the 1911 census (latest Irish one available).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Thanks for that information.
I have managed to find the 1911 census returns for the families of Robert and Annie, but that doesn't help us find Kathleen's birth certificate.
I guess we'll have to make sure we live until 2024......

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 January 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
It will actually be 2025 before the 1924 birth certificate will be in GRONI's online database. Why don't you just order the certificate?

If the parents were unmarried it will likely be under mother's name (unless father also attended with mother to register the birth).