Author Topic: Alexander Wyper, born about 1821  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Alexander Wyper, born about 1821
« on: Sunday 21 January 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Wyper married Janet Thornton in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, in 1849. He was a railwayman, and he lost an arm in an accident some time before 1855.

I have him in every census from 1851 until his death in 1900, and the census consistently lists his birthplace as England. However the 1881 census says Worcestershire.

His age in the census is consistent and suggests that he was born between 1820 and 1822.

According to his death certificate his parents were William Wyper and Jean Edwards. A couple with these names were married in Glasgow in 1818.

I have failed to find him in the 1841 census.

FamilySearch has a tree which says that he was born in Christchurch, Dorset, on 8 December 1814. This is clearly not consistent with the original documents listed above, so I do not trust it. It also lists four supposed siblings, three of whom were born before 1818.

Can anyone suggest where I might look for a record of Alexander Wyper's baptism in Worcestershire?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sunset

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Wyper, born about 1821
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
1841 census
Alex and Janet WYPER both aged 20 Campbell's Close, Greenock, Renfrewshire. Both born Renfrewshire. Occupations journeyman blacksmith. Any help?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting entry in Eng and Wales non-c Baptisms. It's not the correct date but may indicate an earlier birth/death of a first Alexander:

Alexander Son of William and Jane Wiper of Lanarkshire of the Parish of Pot? N. Britain. Born 8th Dec 1814 and baptized the 21st December following at the Church Barracks, Royal Horse Artillery by me Wm Hopkins Minr

Gadget

Added - I can send a copy if you wish

FOrgot to say where  :-[  Christchurch, Hampshire - the same as you mention
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
1841 census
Alex and Janet WYPER both aged 20 Campbell's Close, Greenock, Renfrewshire. Both born Renfrewshire. Occupations journeyman blacksmith. Any help?
Thank you, but no. The couple I am interested in did not get married until 1849, and 'my' Janet Thornton was with her parents in Bothwell in 1841.

In 1851 there is a family in New Monkland consisting of Alexander Wyper, 31, forger of iron, born New Monkland; wife Janet, 33, born Greenock; children Jane, 9, born Greenock; Margaret, 7, born Glasgow; son John3 and daughter Helen, 4 months, both born New Monkland. I think this must be the couple who were in Greenock in 1841.

I haven't found 'my' Alexander Wyper in 1841 as yet.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Added - I can send a copy if you wish
Yes please!

I wonder if Pot... could be Bot..., i.e. Bothwell?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking it might be Bothwell.

Also found this:

Record for a Willim Wipper, b. 1786, Lanarkshire, Gunner in Royal Horse Artillery Attestation 15 July 1808. Glasgow

Discharged 4th Sept 1816. Re-enlisted 1 January 1835.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, yes, I have seen William's military record. Annoyingly, it does not mention his wife and family at all, and it doesn't list where he was posted when. Just says he served in Walcheren, England and Ireland.

I also found William Wipper in Carluke in 1851, aged 64, described as pensioner R H Artillery, born Mid Calder, with with Jane, 68, born Glasgow, a grandson William Boyd, born Gibraltar, and two lodgers. Failed to find him/them in 1841.

Alexander Wyper's death certificate describes his father as an Army pensioner, so it does look as if this is the same man, but I am still having trouble reconciling three baptisms before the date of marriage, and an eight-year discrepancy and a different county if that 1814 baptism is indeed the one I am looking for.

I am wondering if William Wyper/Wipper could have been married twice, to two different Jean/Janes. There is a ten-year gap between Alexander in 1814 and Robert in 1824.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if it would be worth finding out where the RHA was encamped in the period 1810- 1825 (say).  This might solve the place of birth uncertainty.

I'm not up on military matters but have had help from the experts on RC in the past. It might be worth putting a question on that board.

Gadget

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Good idea.