Author Topic: Robert Jones b 1815 , Denbigh, Printer Compositor  (Read 2976 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Jones b 1815 , Denbigh, Printer Compositor
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gee

Thomas Gee was a printer in Denbigh.

I have a family who in 1841 were in Ruthin., father was 48 and a printer / compositer .
Later records show his daughter was born in Birmingham c 1835. I think he went there to learn / improve  his trade.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gee

Thomas Gee was a printer in Denbigh.

I have a family who in 1841 were in Ruthin., father was 48 and a printer / compositer .
Later records show his daughter was born in Birmingham c 1835. I think he went there to learn / improve  his trade.

Interesting, Wilcoxon. Do you think that Robert Jones and David Gee might have known each other?

Gadget

Added -as far as I can remember, the censuses show Robert's children born Flintshire , Denbighshire and (possibly) Caernarfonshire. 

I've not found any evidence of his father, David, the hosier, going to England, which was what the OP had thought might have happened:

I initially thought David may have come from England..? Might be red herring though.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »

Robert Jones'descendants entered the same trade and headed for London eventually.

It's been very interesting to trace the line one step further back with the hosier.

Thanks for all the info