Author Topic: Non-Conformist  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Stitches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Non-Conformist
« on: Monday 22 January 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Just seeking general feedback about Non-Conformity as it seems like there is a history of it in my tree going back to around 1800. I am aware of what it is about, but were they accepted by the majority or not.
Many thanks.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Conformist
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Depends where you live, in Scotland the Episcopalians (Anglicans) were the non-conformists & suffered from penal laws!

Skoosh.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
In Wales, non-Conformist was the norm! ;D
Similarly in Cornwall & Devon, there were rather a lot of NC's - including my lot :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
You could look at the 1851 Survey of Religious  Worship at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01le7/ It gives the figures for all the English and Welsh Counties, and detailed descriptions of 16 of the main denominations. In 1867 there were 88 non-conformist denominations certified by the Registrar General. In 1878 there were 145.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:21 GMT (UK) »
NC = Chapel goers rather than parish church goers in their choice of worship. One person I researched was baptised C of E, married C of E but worshipped and was buried NC so they might still use the C of E in the same way RCs used the C of E for marriages when it was more convenient.

Blue

Offline Stitches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, for the information.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
NC = Chapel goers rather than parish church goers in their choice of worship. One person I researched was baptised C of E, married C of E but worshipped and was buried NC so they might still use the C of E in the same way RCs used the C of E for marriages when it was more convenient.

Blue
Depends when you are referring to if before 1837 they had no choice but to marry in the C of E. Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »

Blue
Depends when you are referring to if before 1837 they had no choice but to marry in the C of E. Cheers
Guy

After 1837.

Blue

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Just seeking general feedback about Non-Conformity as it seems like there is a history of it in my tree going back to around 1800. I am aware of what it is about, but were they accepted by the majority or not.
Many thanks.
Depends on the time as well as place. Do you mean were they accepted in the 19th century or before?
By "acceptance" do you mean official attitude of state and Church or opinions of society, neighbours, press etc.
Look up "Toleration Acts" for government policy of late 17thC.
Cowban