Author Topic: Templeton Family (Ballylinney/Carnmoney/Mallusk)  (Read 4736 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Templeton Family (Ballylinney/Carnmoney/Mallusk)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The location of Kilgreel was not my take on Kilgreel, but part of the information from the Templepatrick researcher, who by the way did not have Kelso interests.

My 3x gt grandfather Wiliam Lynn who died 1907 aged 93, was from Kilgreel If you look at the list of householders in Griffiths you will find both David Kelso and George Kelso in Kilgreel. Many of the names on the list are connected to my families. Joseph B Wiley was a grandson of my 4x gt grandfather Hugh Wiley of Ballycushion. His grandson John Graham (originally from Ballycusion) married Jane Lynn of Kilgreel (my 2x gt grandparents). Hugh's son Ezekiel Wiley married Jane Barron daughter of Joseph Barron of Ballnabarnish/Craigarogan/Roughfort. The Kelso's link to this Barron family and is why I have an interest in them.

Kilgreel lies between Ballynabarnish and Craigarogan.

Yes I know about Edward Kelso of Craigarogan in the Tithes. This is my list of Templepatrick Kelsos in the Tithes. 

TEMPLEPATRICK

Tithes
1   Kelso, Alexr. Townland: Ballynabarnish Year: 1833      
2   Kelso, Edward Townland: Craigarogan Year: 1833
3   Kelso, Ephraim Townland: Ballynabarnish Year: 1833
4   Kelso, Geo. Townland: Ballynabarnish Year: 1833
5   Kelso, John Townland: Craigarogan Year: 1833
6   Kelso, Mary E. Townland: Killgreel Year: 1833
7   Kelso, Robt. Townland: Killgreel Year: 1833

1   Alexander Kelso   Ballynabarnish   b  1806    d <1859    son of Ephraim
3    Ephraim Kelso   Ballynabarnish   b c 1780   m ?Jane
         Children’s names:   Alexander, Margaret, Agnes.

2   Edward Kelso    Roughfort      b <1813 (Tithes) brother of Hugh (Matthew suggests the Edward Kelso in Tithes was son of Edward as the latter died 1832?)
Hugh Kelso      Craigarogan      d <18 Mar 1786
Sister Kelso      Roughfort      b < 1760   m Barron, son  =Andrew Barron

The info on Edward is based on the following:

Number 251209
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-MQBD-S?i=410&cat=185720
Memorial of deed of conveyance dated 18th March 1786.  Between Andrew Barron and Edward Kelso both of Roughfort, Parish of Templepatrick, farmers - the said Andrew is the nephew and devisee and the said Edward Kelso is the bro. and heir at law of Hugh Kelso late of Craigarogan in the said parish of Templepatrick – of the one part.  John Walker of Malone, parish of Belfast, farmer, of the other part.  Andrew Barron and Edward Kelso give over to John Walker land in Kilgreel formerly in the possession of the said Hugh Kelso consisting of 29a 1r 35p Scotch Cunningham measure.  For the lives of HRH Prince of Wales son of Geo III, Frederick Bishop of Osnaburgh second son of Geo III, and James Fea son of James Fea of Roughforth, and 31 years from 1st Nov 1770.  Witnessed by John Barrow [sic] of Belfast, writing clerk, and Mathew Walsh of Belfast, yeoman.  Said John Barron [sic] made oath that he was one of the witnesses.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I should say there are actually two candidates for the #1 Alexander Kelso in the Tithes. I have him as the Alexander born 1806 son of Ephraim but there is another Alexander born 1803, son of George.

George Kelso of Kilgreel was the father of David Kelso (b1808)  of Kilgreel who married Elizabeth Kelso, daughter of William Kelso and Margaret Thoburn who married 1819. William Kelso was a weaver and does not appear on the Tithe lists. William and Margaret also had a son named David Kelso b1819 who died at Windy Hill in 1897. This David Kelso married Jane Barnett.

I do not have any concrete evidence but I think the Mary E Kelso of Kilgreel, #6 in the Tithes, may have been the widow of a Henry Kelso. The Belfast Newsletter has an 1833 marriage notice for a Mary Elizabeth Kelso, daughter of the late Henry Kelso from near Roughfort. Mary married a William Barnett

William Barnett who married Mary Eliza Kelso in 1833, dau of Henry Kelso, died in 1873. Names sons Henry Kelso Barnett and William Barnett in his will which was actually written in 1854. William Barnett was described as a gentleman of Windy Hill and Greencastle. His assets included a farm in Kilgreel.

Cheers

Linda

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone!  Chewing it all over.  Nothing sounds right at this point.  Will return if I come up with anything.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Just to complete the list of Tithe holders:
#4    George Kelso of Ballynabarnish/Kilgreel b c1775   d1841 m ? 1 unknown, m 2 Catherine Ruids
         Children’s names:   James, Alexander, George, David, Ephraim, Margaret, Agnes.

This may be the same George who appears below"
Book 808 / Page 448 / Number 545183
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVT-CQ5P-F?i=314&cat=185720
Memorial of indented deed of release dated 28th Nov 1825 between Joseph Barron of Ballynabarnish and David Biggar [Bigger] of the Trench, farmers, executors named in the last will and testament of Ephrahim [Ephraim] Kelso late of Craigarogan deceased on the one part, and George Kelso of Craigarogan, farmer, of the other part.  Barron and Biggar as executors confirmed unto George Kelso that parcel of land in Craigarogan containing 14a 2r Scotch Cunningham measure, bounded on the east by the piece of land therein [hereafter] mentioned, on the south by land in the possession of John Fulton, on the west by part of the lands of said Joseph Barron, etc.

So there was another Ephraim Kelso who died pre 28 Nov 1825, whose widow was Mary nee McNiece .

I mention this because I think the #5 John Kelso of Craigarogan may have been the father of Ephraim Kelso of Ballysillan b c1837.
Ephraim Kelso   Ballysillan    b c1837 (son of John)   m 1858 Letitia Magee 
         Children’s names:   John, Joseph, Sarah, James, Agnes

Not of any help in your search for Robert/Edward Kelso combination though. As I said initially, I do not have any info on Robert Kelso of Kilgreel.

Cheers

Linda

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 December 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Please see this link:-
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Kelso-697
Given the detailed research listed in the replies above, I suspect you are already aware of this Kelso family listed in the 1851 census of Ireland.  My great great grandfather named one of his sons Robert Kelso McClurg.  Robert Kelso was the husband of my great great grandmothers sister.
My own family roots lie in Kilgreel and Craigarogan townlands.  Both townlands are oddly shaped.  The western ends of the townlands are hilly, the eastern ends on much flatter land.  The hilly ends lie close to Lylehill Presbyterian church.  The flatter end of Kilgreel is close to Templepatrick Presbyterian.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason

No I had not looked at the 1851 census, so thank you for reminding me. Looks like this family could relate to the Andrew Kelso originally from Scotland but that is pure quess work.

I can tell you that a Joseph Gourley married Susan Kelso in 1848, daughter of the William Kelso who was a weaver.

I was about to email one of my fellow Templepatrick Barron researchers to tell him I had added yet another Ezekiel Graham to my Templepatrick Grahams.  In his Ancestry tree I note that he has a potential father for Joseph Gourley only recorded as still alive so I wall ask him to look at this post to see what he can add.

There were two Barron families in Templepatrick and the other one is centred around Ballynalough. My Wiley family of Ballycushion married into both families. William Kelso's wife Margaret Thoburn b c 1780 was the daughter of Jane Barron of the Craigarogan side.

I am interested that there is also an Ezekiel Kelso and Ephraim (probably) Kelso in the 1851 census, both aged 15.

Cheers

Linda

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
If you look at this profile https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McClurg-308 , you will see the witnesses at James McClurg's wedding were John Kelso and Mary Barron.  I believe John and Mary may have married but I haven't fully traced this line yet.

My great grandfathers brother married a Kelso https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McMurray-682
Thomas McMurray was the caretaker for Umgall graveyard.

The Carruth name which was mentioned from one of your earlier posts again my great great grandfathers sister married a Carruth https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McMurray-675

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 December 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
The Kell family in the census are:

Joseph Kell son of Joseph Kell and Jane Kelso, daughter of William Kelso the weaver.

Jospeh Kell's wife Jane (in census) is the daughter of Joseph Gourley and Susan Kelso previously mentioned, sister of Jane kelso.

By the way Joseph Gourley's father was Alexander Gourley.