Author Topic: REME UK Unit Locations - WWII  (Read 6311 times)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: REME UK Unit Locations - WWII
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
My father was Sgt. in the REME. From what he said he was part of a REME company attached to 75th A/Tank Regiment RA. I think REME resources were deployed in this way to support Armoured units.

I've seen WS as an abbreviation for Wireless School but W/S is prob. different
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 January 19 10:02 GMT (UK) »
deebel W/S in a REME context is Workshop (the official abbreviation is (Wksp).  Almost every unit that had something needing fixing had a REME element with its size depending on what the unit was.  There is a variation in the records posted above which is down to the clerks not getting the abbreviation right!  Note the stamp correctly showing 26th AA WORKSHOP company REME and below is the hand written 22 W/S Coy REME and later 17 AA W/S Coy REME, different units but the same type of unit.  Later there is Wksp.

Your father would have been in 75th Anti Tank Regiment Workshop Company REME.  While it doesn't mention the workshop,  this will be of interest I think:
http://www.royalartilleryunitsnetherlands1944-1945.com/75-anti-tank-regt.html

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 January 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaxD,

Just had a look and my brother has posted pics of my dad. Brill.

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Well, if MaxD can’t help, (he’s a mine of useful information!) then I’d agree with his recommendation regarding the REME museum. Their historian was enormously helpful in interpreting my uncle’s records.
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)