Author Topic: Daniel Bruyn - brick wall  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Daniel Bruyn - brick wall
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth record for Daniel Bruyn born abt. 1813 Roscommon, I have been told his parents are Edward Bruyn and Margaret ? Daniel married in England in 1837 and was a Blacksmith.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Bruyn - brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
1813 predates Irish Civil Records and you will be reliant on church records which are scarce for this time period and county. Also they must be looked up by parish which means needing an approximate address for Daniel

There are two families in the Elphin area at that time with the father named Edward but no Daniel and without more information you'd require some more information to confirm any records found.
Noting there are several variations of the spelling of the name and the English version Brown(e)

Edward BRUEN and Mary OATS - Culleen, Elphin
Margaret bap Aug 25 1810
Winifred bap Sep 02 1813
James bap Jul 14 1815
Eugene bap Apr 28 1822

Edward BRUIN and Brigid MORASS - Ballyroddy, Elphin
Edward bap Aug 25 1808
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Daniel's full name is Daniel Joseph Bruyn and I suspect it is his family and not his wife's Sarah Helen (Heline) Nicholls (they were married in Stafford) that is from a long established family in France.

His census information in England says birthplace Roscommon.

For a while Daniel and this family lived in France ( I have two births and a death in France) but had to escape because of an Industrial Revolution, they went back to England and then moved to Australia

Their daughter Ellen's obit talks about having been in France plus says they were from a long established family there.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Daniel's full name is Daniel Joseph Bruyn and I suspect it is his family and not his wife's Sarah Helen (Heline) Nicholls (they were married in Stafford) that is from a long established family in France.

His census information in England says birthplace Roscommon.

For a while Daniel and this family lived in France ( I have two births and a death in France) but had to escape because of an Industrial Revolution, they went back to England and then moved to Australia

Their daughter Ellen's obit talks about having been in France plus says they were from a long established family there.
Did you mean French Revolution, not Industrial Revolution? The big one 1789, after which Britain went to war with France?
Cowban

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Industrial in late 1840s when foreigners were taking jobs of French Citizens and the foreigners had to escape and most left without their belongings and being paid.

Their son Daniel Justin Bruyn was born 26 May 1847, Graville, Le Havre, Seine, France
They also had a daughter Mary who was born and died there around the same time.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 01:16 GMT (UK) »
This is part of Ellen Bruyn's obituary that appeared in the Dungog Chronical: Durham and Gloucester Advertiser. 4 October 1927.

Ellen 'Bruyn passed away on Sunday evening, aged 87. Born at Smithwick. Staffordshire, England, she resided as a girl in France for some four years with her people, who were of a long established French family. During the troublous times of tho Revolution her parents were forced to fly to England again for safety, and with the aid of the British Government, the Bruyns, and numbers of other unhappy refugees, were enabled to cross the Channel. After that experience her father decided to migrate to New South Wales, arriving in Sydney on May 1-, 1853, when Miss Bruyn was then sixteen years of age.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 18 05:40 GMT (UK) »
If it helps to try and locate his parents/family, Daniel Bruyn was a Blacksmith (so he may have learned his trade in Ireland.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
1813 predates Irish Civil Records and you will be reliant on church records which are scarce for this time period and county. Also they must be looked up by parish which means needing an approximate address for Daniel

There are two families in the Elphin area at that time with the father named Edward but no Daniel and without more information you'd require some more information to confirm any records found.
Noting there are several variations of the spelling of the name and the English version Brown(e)

Edward BRUEN and Mary OATS - Culleen, Elphin
Margaret bap Aug 25 1810
Winifred bap Sep 02 1813
James bap Jul 14 1815
Eugene bap Apr 28 1822

Edward BRUIN and Brigid MORASS - Ballyroddy, Elphin
Edward bap Aug 25 1808

Thanks, I am currently going through the different parish records, starting with Elphin and have found a couple of marriages of Bruin/Bruen not long before my Daniel was born. I am wondering if related to Daniel. I have noticed some names at that time in Elphin appeared to be more French example I have seen Danielum, Michaelum and an E that wasn't Edward but Edward could be the English version of the name. I know when in France Helen was written as Heleen for Daniel's wife's middle name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Were the Bruyn family Catholic?

I have noticed some names at that time in Elphin appeared to be more French example I have seen Danielum, Michaelum and an E that wasn't Edward but Edward could be the English version of the name.
Those are Latin not French forms of the Christian names.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!