Author Topic: Look up or Suggestions - Edward Anderson Wilson  (Read 4306 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up or Suggestions - Edward Anderson Wilson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I understand what your line of thinking is. ;D
Regrettably there seems no accessible record at present for a wife in England requesting her absent husband's whereabouts.

Where does Emma give as her place of birth and her parents names on the marriage certificate, please?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Just to clarify,  the information on the marriage and death certificates are not notes - I have copied the information here as it appears on those certificates.

I do not have a birth certificate for Amy - I have never viewed it.

I have sifted through some other documents and found a birth certificate for Archibald and it reads Emma Wilson formerly Freeman; but, as far as I am aware, there is no marriage for Emma Freeman until 1886, at which time she gives her name as Emma Freeman.

Based on the fact that Edward Wilson appears to have been married in the UK and that the wife was possibly still alive at the time of Amy's birth in Australia, I am exploring the possibility that she (the first wife) may have been looking for him.  There could be a newspaper notice that fits the description of Edward Wilson.  Yes, that's speculation, but it is a plausible line of inquiry, given that the marriage and death certificates, which I have, very strongly suggest that he was married; and I don't have any other information about him.  Would you do something different in this circumstance?  At the moment, I don't know what else I can look up.  Do you have any suggestions?

Amanda

There is nothing wrong with Emma giving her surname as WILSON when registering her babies.  It was obviously her 'known by' surname at that time.  NSW BDM did not commence to give babies a surname until about 1969.   Children were known by the surname their mum used.  So if Emma and Edward were in a committed relationship, in the 1870s and 1880s, it is very likely she was known by his surname.   NSW statute law has been recognising de facto marriages since at least the 1810s and in a formal sense since 19 July 1823, with the commencement of the Charter of Justice and the first NSW Supreme Court.   There's an English marriage act of 18 July 1823 that recognised marriages abroad.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:37 GMT (UK) »
I am thinking of the seven year rule  :)  effectively terminating any English marriage by the separation beyond the seas.  It was NOT just a rule to permit convicts to marry in the colonies. 

There's been some threads ....

Back shortly with live links.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »

Certainly convicts were allowed to remarry if they'd been 'out of/away from the marriage' for more than seven years - but I don't think this was considered bigamy - the more so as they had very little hope of ever returning to England.   
Their partners in England could also remarry if their convicted OH's had been gone for more than 7 years  . . .  so, not just occurring in Australia.  The marriage was considered void is my understanding, so not bigamy.

No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Wiggy

You are correct Wiggy
The law "An Act to restrain all Persons from Marriage until their former Wives and former Husbands be dead" was introduced in 1604.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1604.htm

Section 2 of this 'bigamy' act allowed partners to remarry if the other was overseas for at least 7 years or if they had no knowledge of their partner being alive for 7 years.
The wording of section II puts it like this :

"II. Provided always, That this Act, nor any Thing therein contained, shall extend to any Person or Persons whose Husband or Wife shall be continually remaining beyond the Seas by the Space of seven Years together, or whose Husband or Wife shall absent him or herself the one from the other by the Space of seven Years together, in any Parts within his Majesty’s Dominions, the one of them not knowing the other to be living within that Time. "

Cheers
Guy

:)  :)  :)

PS, significance of 19 July 1823 .... NO English law made on or after that date could be held valid in the colony of NSW unless it specifically nominated that it was to be effective in NSW.   :)  This is important from family history point of view as it means that the marriage acts AFTER the 18 July 1823 had NO effect in NSW or its territories...

:)  :)  :)

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Just adding a note here, too.
Divorce was rare and very expensive in 19th century.

Many marriages ended by mutual consent and one or other party became "absent"

Time passed and new relationships formed.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 January 18 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Funeral for Edward A WILSON from Sydney Hospital to Waverley Cemetery, 5 July 1900. 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14321984 smh 5 July 1900. 

IM notice SMH 3 July 1901
WILSON – In loving memory of my dear father, Edward A Wilson, who departed this life 3 July 1900.  Inserted by his loving son, A.P. Wilson.    …
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14394842    smh 3 July 1901

Do you have A.P. Wilson’s birth cert, and if so, what information is recorded there about his DAD …   (Assuming A P is Archibald)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 January 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
South Australian birth… 5 October 1877, Archibald Percy WILSON,
Father as Edward Anderson WILSON
Mother as Emma Agnes FREEMAN
District: Adelaide
Reg 190/136

I am not familiar with S.A. family history but I understand scant info on their bdm certs.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 January 18 03:05 GMT (UK) »
These are the headings on a NSW BDM marriage cert for 1886:
Date and place of marriage
Names and surnames of parties
Conjugal status
Birthplace
Married in the
According to
Usual Occupation
Father’s name Mother’s name and maiden surname
Father’s occupation

Signatures of the groom and bride
Signatures of the witnesses

Signature of the clergy

Right hand margin will include details of the church registers that provided the info needed when reconciling the civil registrations in the 1912-1915 era.

JM

Offline Amarow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 January 18 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM - apologies for my slow relpy; I live in an internet black-spot and it's really struggling today!!

Here are the details on the NSW marriage cert.

No - 206
Date and place of marriage - 7 October 1886, Newtown
Names and surnames of parties - Edward Anderson Wilson      Emma Agnes Freeman
Conjugal status - Widower      Spinster
Birthplace - Lancashire England         Launceston Tasmania
Usual Occupation - Journalist         Living with friends
Age - 47      30
Usual place of residence - Newtown       Newtown
Father's name mother's name and maiden surname - James Wilson, Katherine Anderson         _____ Freeman, Jane _____
Father's occupation - Weaver      Ships Chandler

They have both signed it in the presence of the witnesses, (who's names I struggle to read, but they are appear to be Amy and Lizzie Newman) before the registrar.  Clergyman is crossed out.

It also says that they were married at the Registrar's Office in Newtown.

Amanda