Author Topic: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed  (Read 4689 times)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda,

Like you I am also a newbie, however I did spend many months visiting the site before I decided to stick my oar in the water and join in, yesterday.
Based on that browsing experience I will echo the sentiments expressed above. Members are friendly, knowledgeable and keen to help.

Remember, The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Malcolm
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Amanda.

You have been given some good advice. I would also advise, when using a strange website, it always pays to check out the FAQS section, found on the  Help page here, there you will often find the answers to your questions about using a site.

As well as the advice already given by other chatters, when you post a question it helps if you can stay around for at least ten to fifteen minutes. You may surprised how quickly people sometimes respond, often needing a little more information from you before they can proceed to help.

Good luck.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Amanda, I'm sure you'll soon find your way around the boards. Also welcome macwil, this is a wonderful site.  :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
And a warm welcome to Rootschat from me.

My advice - don't get bogged down in the myriad boards and posts.  Have a look at the "resources" boards to get ideas, but the best way to start is to post a message asking for information about one of your ancestors.  That way, you will find out about the sites we use to find information and how to avoid errors.

Remember - every Rootschatter started off knowing nothing - we received and shared knowledge, we learned from each other before we were able to help others.

Build your tree, build your knowledge and before you know it you will be helping newbies - it's such fun!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Welcome Amanda to what is probably the best genealogy site there is. You will soon get used to it all and get used to all the experts.

There are many of them all willing to give time to sorting out your problems. What date, what medals, where is the house (we are really good at that now) Who were the parents, children, ggggggrandparents. May take a while or a few minutes but you will get an answer from them.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
In the course of my browsing I have picked up numerous hints and tips which have helped my research technique, and I heartily agree with 'philipsearching' the resource boards are well worth browsing, they have provided several links to some very useful sites and some initially disappointing sites have provided further useful links.
So YES browse!

and Thank you to all the contributors to the many varied boards on this wonderful site.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I haven't been on this site for very long but  have already found the people  very friendly and helpful. The topics raised cover a lot of interesting, useful information and show that there are chatters who are willing to share their knowledge and it is great to show your appreciation.
I have found the surname list, British Home children and Watermen references to be worth a browse.
Good luck, Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Once you make a couple more posts, the Personal Message system will be activated, and you can correspond privately with other members. This is useful if you need help with anyone still living as we are not allowed to mention them on a public forum.

You've had a lot of replies and some hints and tips, so come back and let us know if you have any specific questions about rootschat.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda and welcome to RootsChat. It is very daunting when you first join but if you take your time browsing the various forums you will soon find your way around. If there is anything that you need help with just ask, we have all been there. In the meantime, just join in and have fun.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU