Author Topic: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Amanda.
I have been a member for years, and I am still finding out interesting things I didn't know about Rootschat.

I have received some wonderful help from willing Rootschatters, and I try to give a little too, so I often check my local county board in case there is a nearby cemetery I can visit for someone over seas.

Oh, and I always try to remember to use the spell checker before I make a post.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Amanda I notice you have logged in to rootschat today but you didn't return to this thread.

It can be a bit confusing at first working out how to reply to a thread. Just click on the blue "REPLY" button which you will see at the end of the replies and type your reply in the box that appears. Then click on "Post" in the bottom right corner.

Good luck.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Amanda I notice you have logged in to rootschat today but you didn't return to this thread.

It can be a bit confusing at first working out how to reply to a thread. Just click on the blue "REPLY" button which you will see at the end of the replies and type your reply in the box that appears. Then click on "Post" in the bottom right corner. Good luck.

One of the things that confused me was that I don't get notifications of replies to messages on the Lighter Side  board - though they do appear on "New Replies" of course, but that is a trick I only learned recently......

Added: But I found a notification today, so now I am REALLY confused!!  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
In that case Amanda should look right at the top of the page, and on the left she will see:

[Hi Amanda] [Unread Posts] and [New Replies]

Click on [New Replies] and you will see all new replies to all threads you have posted in.

(I hope  that is right - I never use the "New Replies" button).  ;)

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who replied I really appreciate it. Yes I did think how do I reply so I'm hoping this gets to you all.
I only found out about roots after I put my 2xgreat grandads name into Google and some old threads from 2015 popped up. I had set the man on a pedestal without knowing anything about him....someone described him as "a piece of work" and that he was a bigamist who went to prison. Lol my husband was very amused when I cried out "Nooooo!!! not my septimus machell" I will take my time to explore thankyou again for your time...and I apologise if it takes me a few days again to reply. X

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda,
No need to apologise, it will take time to read and digest all the replies we bombarded you with.

Take your time and when YOU are ready come back to us with any queries you may have. Members are keen to help. (As you've already experienced maybe a little too keen occasionally)  ;D ;D

Regards
Malcolm
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I am so over whelmed with the size of rootschat. Am i the only newbie who is looking around and thinking....will i ever get to grips with this.
I guess its like a new job, its brain frazzling for the first few weeks but one day you realise you know what your doing...a few months later you are totally at ease.
As you can tell i am totally new to this but loving every minute x

Hello Amada, may I make a suggestion; I have been researching all my life and have developed various strategies when faced with new records and technology.
When I visit a new forum or mailing list etc., I don’t try to take it all in or even come to grips with the whole list; instead I will browse the new postings to see if any interest me.
If the site is arranged in counties, I will look at the section that covers the counties my ancestors were from to see if there is information that helps there, and so on gradually expanding my coverage of the site or forum as time permits.

I find it easier to get accustomed to forums by taking them in small chunks rather than trying to come to terms with the full range at the same time.

Happy researching
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hey look at me I've noticed replies!!!
I think I will look at the counties as has been suggested and take my time reading the threads and finding my way around the place. I have not joined ancestry or any other sites yet but was planning to once I had a little tree worked out on paper, but I realise I may need those sites to create a tree in the first place. Thank you all again. X

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who replied I really appreciate it. Yes I did think how do I reply so I'm hoping this gets to you all.
I only found out about roots after I put my 2xgreat grandads name into Google and some old threads from 2015 popped up. I had set the man on a pedestal without knowing anything about him....someone described him as "a piece of work" and that he was a bigamist who went to prison. Lol my husband was very amused when I cried out "Nooooo!!! not my septimus machell" I will take my time to explore thankyou again for your time...and I apologise if it takes me a few days again to reply. X

Make sure there are not two "Septimus Machells"  :) Don't hesitate to ask if you need help to make sure he is yours.