Author Topic: Picture Pyle family need some help  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Peter Kassies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Picture Pyle family need some help
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I need some help with the attached picture. I've puzzeled a few things together. I am fairly certain that this is the Pyle family. The person holding the dog on his lap is William James Pyle. His mustach matches another picture I have with his name written on. The woman sitting right of him must be he is wife Helena Seaford Beavis. The person holding the black high hat is James Pyle.

Questions:
- They all look very smart, I think it is a wedding. Any other clues?
- How old would this picture be?
- the photographer is Foster, 39 Preston Street, Brighton. That is a bit odd, since the Pyle family lived around Aylesbeare, Devon. Or was Brighton a special place to celebrate a wedding?
- Any other information you can derive from this picture?

Thanks!

Peter

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Pyle family need some help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I'd say early 1900s (1900-1904) and I think it's a wedding. The woman in the middle of the front seated row, wearing lighter clothes and flowers is probably the bride.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I've just noticed the dog - never seen that in a wedding photo before!  I think the groom might be in the back row, between the two women. He looks a bit scared. Just my initial comments  :)

Not sure about Brighton/Devon connection - they couldn't have all gone on a trip, could they. Maybe the photographer was itinerant :-\

Gadget

Sorry - I should have welcomed you  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter and welcome to RootsChat....I agree with Gadget's guesstimate....same thoughts before I saw her answer.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
The woman 2nd in ! middle row from left of photo has a copying Queen Victoria dress style about her attire but the big wide brim (early) Edwardian ladies floral hats suggest (after Queen Victoria died 22nd Jan 1901) 'Gadget's' dating years given are about right but say slightly more from late 1901/early 1902 to 1904
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too, Peter - from another Peter.

Couldn't resist a tidy. ;D

Looks like the two families of the bride and groom, one mainly on the left, the other on the right. Lots of common family traits as you look around at the faces. For example, the two men on the far left  - one sitting, one standing - look very closely related.

Has the dating helped with your identifying of them?

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Peter Kassies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Ohh, thank you all for your quick replies and helpful comments!
Ever so grateful for cleaning up the picture, it looks great!

I've puzzled a few bits together:
- if it is a wedding and the lady in white sitting on the front row, then it must be Helena Seaford Beavis. She married William James Pyle on September 5th 1898. Attached below you read the marriage certificate.
- The marriage must be before 1899, because that the year is when William Pyle (father of) dies

so in conclusion, I would date the picture a few years earlier than your estimates. Is this a possibility?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
It might just be 1898 as I've got some pics of that date which have the type of bodice that some of the women are wearing.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Do I see the groom's residence as Streatham?