Author Topic: Guernsey Look up Request: Philip and Eliza Harriet Leigh  (Read 4033 times)

Offline grey2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guernsey Look up Request: Philip and Eliza Harriet Leigh
« on: Wednesday 24 January 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I know Eliza Harriet Leigh was born in Guernsey in 1817 but I have not yet found a record. Can anyone help?
I suspect her brother Philip, born c 1812 was also born there and possibly their father Philip,(a merchant/sea captain from Dartmouth, Devon) was married in Guernsey too. The wider family had trading interests with Jersey/Newfoundland/Lisbon etc.
Have Guernsey records been put on- line and if so, where?

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Look up Request: Philip and Eliza Harriet Leigh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 08:17 GMT (UK) »
some Guernsey records on Familysearch.

Jerripedia BMD database:

has Phillip Charles of Phillip Leigh Jr and wife Elizabeth b 1816
Eliza of George Leigh b 1817 in same parish

Offline grey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the considerable delay- out of the country for a few weeks. Many thanks for your help, I am very grateful. I have no record of a George Leigh in the family so that is a big surprise and something to investigate! Just recently found another Guernsey baptism mystery related to the same family. A Sarah Savage Featherstonhaugh Leigh married a Benjamin Baynton in Exeter and had a daughter there in 1811. She was baptised in Guernsey in 1811 on 10 July St Peter Port. I was wondering if the record showed any other information? Sarah and Benjamin went on to live on Jersey in St Helier.

Offline grey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Should have said the daughter's name was Jane.

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 03:45 BST (UK) »
Guernsey records are not on line.

However the Maritime records by Keith Matthews are being loaded online.

Philip Leigh seems to be there:

https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/keith/pdf/leigh/Leigh%20-%20L%20-%20163%20-%20Philip.pdf

Edward Leigh in Lisbon 1794

Offline grey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed for this. Certainly gives us something to go on. I had almost given up hope of finding them....just goes to show that someone, somewhere will know!

Offline lobbzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 May 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Grey2 Ive no idea if you will see this after all this time but Benjamin Baynton (Major) is one of my ancestors, he marries  Sarah Savage Fetherstonehaugh Leigh 2/feb/1811 when he is 54 years old. He has been previously married more than once. I suspect she has too. Benjamin dies in Feb 1817 and she remarries just a few months later to a chap Mr John Goodfellow. The daughters name(s) may be Jane Goodfellow Carew FEATHERSTONEHAUGH, but Im not sure.

Apologies for the considerable delay- out of the country for a few weeks. Many thanks for your help, I am very grateful. I have no record of a George Leigh in the family so that is a big surprise and something to investigate! Just recently found another Guernsey baptism mystery related to the same family. A Sarah Savage Featherstonhaugh Leigh married a Benjamin Baynton in Exeter and had a daughter there in 1811. She was baptised in Guernsey in 1811 on 10 July St Peter Port. I was wondering if the record showed any other information? Sarah and Benjamin went on to live on Jersey in St Helier.
Lobb (plymouth + devon + Gosport London), Ford (stepney Bow), Baynton(philedelphia) Barnes (Wimborne), Hopwood (Little Drayton), Winter (Malta), Teague (IOW)