Author Topic: MI lookup Dumfries  (Read 2475 times)

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MI lookup Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Well, our company has an office in Castle Douglas and I got a call last night to go see them and sort their problems out first thing this morning. Of course, having not contacted anyone regarding where section N was, I decided to rush the castle Douglas job and take a long lunch break wandering around St Michaels graveyard. I somehow thought graves may have been sorted in chronological order. They're not. An hour and a half I spent wandering around in there before deciding to give up and visit another day when I was properly prepared. Just about to head out the gates and I met who I assume was one of the church elders or officers. He didn't know where section N was but he took me inside the church to check their paperwork. Unfortunately, they only have books that go up to about 1880, and my first burial is 1895 but he did suggest the later burials were in the bottom half of the graveyard, so off I headed again for another 20 minutes of wandering and squinting at well, weathered sandstone. Decided to call it a day, as my parking ticket was just about to run out without finding what I had gone there looking for but I did find the grave of my 5th great uncle and his wife, and the grave of my gt gt grandfathers brother, his wife and 2 infant (9 and 23 months) children all of whom I didn't know were in there. A semi-successful visit I'd reckon. Time to go e-mail the council and Ewart library to see if they know where section N is.
Mills, Dallas, Stewart, McCulloch,

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
There's a popular saying in Genealogy circles - "They won't be found until they're ready to be found" !

Looks like the time has come around!! well done  ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline carolissosmiley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone still have a copy of this map? I would love to see a copy Thanks