Author Topic: Tasmanian Convict conduct record  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Tasmanian Convict conduct record
« on: Wednesday 24 January 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The response to my last post highlighted how deficient my transcription of a Tasmanian Convict record was, so would be grateful for any help deciphering words etc I haven't fathomed out. As the record is quite long and I wanted to keep my post as brief as possible. ;) I have put a link to the page on the Archives Office of Tasmania website. John Johnson's record is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lek/

Blue italics indicate my uncertainty about the word or meaning and dots where I can't make out the word, abbreviations or initials. Some information is partly hidden where the page is close to the spine. The format is date of event, location or assignee, offence, punishment, abbreviation (meaning what?)

July 23 1838 Wakefield/ Retd to Govt to be assig in the Interior ..... Launceston for assigt in the Interior only Vide Lieut Govr's Decis 28 July 1838
Sept 3rd 1838 ..... Drunk 35 W.F. July 8th 1840 Hogden / Larceny under £5 - One year, Hard labour out of chains / ..... F.M. Lewd and ..... conduct reported Vide L G decis 17th July 1840 29th Aug 1840 / ..... ..... misconduct going further away from his party than he aught to have done / 3 days Sol Conf ..... ..... ..... June 19th 1841 ..... ..... / ..... robbing his Fellow Prisoners of their Rations 5 days Soly Conf  H.C.C Somerset 30th October 1841 Labourer ..... Also without ..... Reprimanded and returned to his duty / 6th January 1842 Watchman Factory / Being drunk Reprimanded and discharged / ..... 14th February 1842 Labourer HofC / absent without leave and returning drunk and disorderly ..... ..... labourer on the Roads / ..... / ..... of Picton party then Oatlands for disposal Vide Lieut Govr /..... July 9th 1842 Picton ..... / Misconduct as ..... in being deficient of the number of shirts to him ..... 6 Mos h Labor in chains / ..... / ROS Vide L G 15th July 1842 = 8 November 1843 ..... / ..... 14 days Sol Conf / P.M.

Thank you, O.
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmanian Convict conduct record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Sept 3rd 1838 ..... Drunk 35 W.F
Oakden?
"John Johnson was ordered to receive thirty five lathes, for being drunk."
1838 'LAUNCESTON POLICE.', The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), 8 September, p. 2. , viewed 25 Jan 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article65951434

Hogden - probably name of who he was assigned to at the time

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
[/color] July 9th 1842 Picton ..... / Misconduct as ..... in being deficient of the number of shirts to him ..... 6 Mos h Labor in chains / ..... / ROS Vide L G 15th July 1842 = 8 November 1843 ..... / ..... 14 days Sol Conf / P.M.

July 9th 1842 Picton party/Misconduct as washerman in being deficient of the number of shirts (shorts?) ... to him 6 months Labor in chains/DE/Ross vide LG decs 15th July 1842 = 8 Nov 1843 Kemp(ton?) Assm? 14 days solitary confinement /pm/

Picton (road) party was a road building gang

Initials at end of sections are usually of the sentencing magistrate/s

Add:
30 October 1841 Labourer Absent without leave reprimanded and ret(urned) to his duty/PS/

14th February 1842 Labourer HofC / absent without leave and returning drunk and disorderly .....?? ..... hard labourer on the Roads

June 19 1841 Clevd RPy (Cleveland Road Party?) tried? robbing his fellow prisoners of their rations, 5 days soly conf HCC Somerset/
mention of various road parties here:
1844 'THE ROAD DEPARTMENT.', Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857), 8 October, p. 2. , viewed 25 Jan 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8755421

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:42 GMT (UK) »
So far..

July 23 1838 Wakefield/ Retd to Govt to be assig in the Interior ..... Launceston for assigt in the Interior only Vide Lieut Govr's Decis 28 July 1838

Sept 3rd 1838 Oakden? Drunk 35 lashes/W.F./

July 8th 1840 Hogden / Larceny under £5 - One year, Hard labour out of chains / (initials?, F.M/. Lewd(<Clevd?) and ..??... conduct reported Vide L G decis 17th July 1840

29th Aug 1840 / Clevd Rd (pty?) misconduct going further away from his party than he aught to have done / 3 days Sol Conf on B&W (bread and water)/DE/

June 19th 1841 Clevd RPy (Cleveland Road Party) tried robbing his Fellow Prisoners of their Rations 5 days Soly Conf  /H.C.C Somerset /

30th October 1841 Labourer Absent without leave Reprimanded and returned to his duty / PS/

6th January 1842 Watchman Factory / Being drunk Reprimanded and discharged / (initials?)

14th February 1842 Labourer HofC (house of correction) / absent without leave and returning drunk and disorderly ?? hard labour on the Roads / ?? / Confirmed? Picton party then Oatlands for disposal Vide Lieut Govr decs (date?)

July 9th 1842 Picton Pty / Misconduct as a washerman in being deficient of the number of shirts ?? to him 6 Months hard Labor in chains / DE / Ross Vide L G 15th July 1842 = 8 November 1843 Kemp(ton?) / Assm? 14 days Sol Conf / P.M.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
And the last bit which is the best I think -

Free certificate  - is it No 94? (or a date)  -  1844

Seems he finally made it to freedom.

OK - that was the easy bit!     

Well done Matthew.  ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
^thanks Wiggy  :)

This is a plan of the Picton Road Station
http://stors.tas.gov.au/PWD266-1-1615

Still trying to locate where Picton was, somewhere near Oatlands I think

Most of the places mentioned in the conduct record are on the road between Hobart and Launceston

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

Thanks again Matthew for gleaning so much additional information from John Johnson's record. There are lots of new leads for me to follow up. Thanks too for the links which help to add flesh to the sad tale of my wife's ancestor.

Kind regards, O.

PS My wife is happy to settle for Clevd instead of Lewd!  ;D
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
July 8th 1840 Hogden / Larceny under £5 - One year, Hard labour out of chains / (initials?, F.M/. Lewd(<Clevd?) and ..??... conduct reported Vide L G decis 17th July 1840

Matthew . . . . .

Just looking once again . . . . .   wondering if 'Clevel and' (has been written in full but with a gap in error)and conduct etc.

Not really important, as Matthew has the important bits done  -  just trying to tidy up last ??
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline PipB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 February 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Picton Road Station was located on the east side of the Midlands Highway, just 1 or 2 kms past the Mood Foods truck stop, where there is a small loop of the old Midlands Highway now by-passed. It is on private property, thus not able to be visited by the public. The Southern Midlands Council have some information about it in their convict heritage brochures. The University of Tasmania and Southern Midlands Council have had a joint archaeological dig there in the past 2 years as part of better understanding the Convict Road Stations in the municipality.