Author Topic: Margaret Cockburn  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Cockburn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 18 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you but it doesn't help as I need more names to make connections.
Sandie.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 January 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
There's at least 4 male Cockburn having children in West Linton about the same time as Margaret possibly brothers if you could trace the parents of them it may help with Margaret

Also I don't think that the 1779 Thomas White is not  yours as he would only be 14/15 when Agnes was born

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 18 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you Wendy2305, I would really love to know where you found that information. I'm not very good at knowing just where to search and if the source of the information was also mentioned it would make life so much easier.
Sandie.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
For 1841 census worth having a look at Freecen. (Freecen has 100% coverage of Peeblesshire FROM 1841 TO 1871)They have the following transcription of the Margt White enrty mentioned above

West Linton Address Ingarston Old Toll

Robert Scott 38 Ag lab Born Peeblesshire
Lilias Salmon 35 born outside census county
William Scott 4 born Peeblesshire
Margt White 70 born outside census county

Thomas White (son of Thomas and Margaret) is showing as a farmer at Steele Farm in the 1841 census - he can also be identified at Steele on the 1851(recorded as Thomas Forrester White) and 1861 census on Freecen.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Both Scotlandspeople and Findmypast have this person transcribed as Margaret/Margt White. Unusual for Freecen to be wrong, but it looks like that may be the case here. Viewing original should clear things up.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you. I've never heard of Freecen before but will most certainly look into it.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Isobel - I have modified my post! It is , of course, Margt. White on Freecen. Must have had another senior moment - a transcription error transcribing a transcription! (it does show, however, how a momentary lapse in concentration can produce an error).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you Wendy2305, I would really love to know where you found that information. I'm not very good at knowing just where to search and if the source of the information was also mentioned it would make life so much easier.
Sandie.

Oops sorry info from Scotlands People free index of OPRs I searched for unknown Cockburn born between 1780 and 1810 in Peebles

Also regarding Thomas White have you considered that he could be Roberts brother not his son

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Wendy2305. Yes I have wondered that he might be Roberts brother, will look into that suggestion but it still doesn't solve my problem with Margaret Cockburn. She and Thomas are named as the parents of the children but I have no idea where to look next. She's proving to be very difficult.
Sandie.