Author Topic: Edinburgh churchyards  (Read 1945 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh churchyards
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:13 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 Census I think it should read "retired" scavenger. A scavenger was a labourer who worked on the streets usually cleaning them up hence the term still used of "scaffie" for a street cleaner.

The others in this census are William Welsh, born Ireland, a hawker of old clothes and his wife also born in Ireland. Perhaps they were related or old friends and Arthur was being supported by them? Just a thought.

Going back to Millmoor's findings I agree that the only death entry for an Agnes Hughes in 1846 is in Corstorphine. At that time Corstorphine was a small village on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Once we see the image of the death entry it will help us greatly.

By the way my knowledge of Edinburgh is pretty good as I was born and still live there.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the Agnes Hughes death in 1846 is for the Agnes showing as living in Kirknewton in the 1841 census as born in 1771. Also in the household is a Henry Hughes age 30, a clerk.

The 1851 and 1861 censuses have Henry still living in Kirknewton, a land surveyor born in 1807 in Corstorphine. I note there is a baptism in Corstorphine 30 Aug. 1806 (born 16 Aug.) for a Henry Hughes with parents Robert Hughes and Agnes Smith. (Marriage in Corstorphine 4 Aug 1804).

(Kirknewton is a village just to the west of Edinburgh).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1846 Hughes burial was at Gogar Kirk.   https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/18710/gogar_churchyard
The church is now a cabinetmakers workshop which has a good image with some headstones @
https://m.facebook.com/Gogar-Cabinetworks-859096674101591/

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 January 18 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Still call the Scaffies in Glasgow, no doubt there's a fancy title though!  ;D

Skoosh.