Author Topic: Edinburgh churchyards  (Read 1943 times)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh churchyards
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've got a burial record for Agnes hughes, buried in march 1846, I can't read the name of the place, it starts with a G, could it be gorgie? Also I've been looking for a death for her husband, Arthur who last shows in 1851 census, looked at all sites and cannot find him. would anyone know if theres burial records for Edinburgh to enable me to see if hes in lair with Agnes ?.both were born in Ireland abt 1785. Thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh churchyards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Can you post the extract here so that we can take a look at it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, I meant to do that but not managing will get my 5yr old grandson to do it for me, haha, or possibly his dad. Thanks for replying, post it soonest

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Elaine, a listing here of Edinburgh graveyards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graveyards_and_cemeteries_in_Edinburgh

There are a few with G...not many though.

Hopefully clearer for you when others can view the snippet.  If you need help with this, just let me know.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
The only Edinburgh Graveyard that comes to mind from that era is Greyfriars.

What was the address in the 1851 Census please?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
A quick look at the 1851 census shows him as a lodger living at 40 Candlemaker Row, Civil Parish of Edinburgh New Greyfriars. Am I Correct? Candlemaker Row is a street right beside Greyfriars Churchyard.

No death entry coming up between 1841 and 1861 on Scotlands People, sorry.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
The only Arthur Hughes  I can see which makes sense in the 1851 census is a 70 year old lodger in Candlemaker Row - this is very near to Greyfriars Kirk. He is showing as born Ireland.

The only Arthur born Ireland I can see in 1841 is showing as born 1785, living in West side Stevenlaws Close 134 High Street and a general labourer. Also present is Mrs Hughes also aged 56 born Ireland. (I cannot see an Agnes Hughes with an Arthur in the 1841 census in Edinburgh).

Looking at SP the only death I can see for an Agnes Hughes in 1846 in Edinburgh is in Corstorphine Parish - have to say that I do wonder about the tie up there with someone possibly living in the Old Town. How certain are you, Elaine that Agnes is yours? (Always worth remembering that pre 1855 deaths in Scotland can be extremely problematic).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census only lists her as Mrs Hughes -no first name unfortunately and he is a labourer so not very well of.

Long way from Corstorphine to Greyfriars for Burial.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, process of elimination, found birth for sons late 1820 to Arthur and Agnes mcweed , which I'm sure must be McWade?.. The Arthur I'm looking for was a labourer by trade and my gtgtgt grandfather. I've had no joy finding marriage for them and assume they married in Ireland and been told marr records are near non -existent at that time. He's with wife in 1841 and I just assumed he was lodger and it's said something xxxxx scavenger???? In 1851, and it was same man. Im ashamed to say, my geography of Edinburgh is appalling. I looked at listings that Monica sent me and it could be grange. I will get image up ASAP.i seem to be able to do that on my phone, which is getting repaired at moment  :-*But not from iPad. Thanks to you all , Elaine
Arthur Hughes born to Arthur Hughes and Agnes ms mcweed 1829