Author Topic: CALDWELL, Eardisland & Pembridge  (Read 1654 times)

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CALDWELL, Eardisland & Pembridge
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I am once again seeking more information about this family:

1. Eliza baptised 21 July 1837; (her mother Ann Jones died 28th July 1837) with her grandmother Hannah Miles formerly Jones in 1841 in Pembridge  and then I next find her in Paris 1859 where she marries my G Grandfather Anton Nida. How did she get there?

2. Eliza's father John was a cooper in Hardwick, part of Eardisland parish, but I have so far failed to confirm his death & burial.

I'd really appreciate any help/advice to solve these problems. Thank you.
Pipe, Fuller, Goodrich/King, Gale, Mansell, Hughes, Dore, Mellish, Nida, Caldwell, Jones, Hamley, Leigh, Barnett: England various counties
Moloney, Cunningham, Corb(o)y, Ryan - Tipperary/Limerick

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: CALDWELL, Eardisland & Pembridge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
her mother Ann Jones

Your subject shows surname as Caldwell - was Jones her maiden name?

Eliza's father John was a cooper in Hardwick, part of Eardisland parish, but I have so far failed to confirm his death & burial.

John Jones or John Caldwell?   What is the last census you have him on?  When and where was he born?

How did she get there?

Train or boat??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 18 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, thank you for your reply.

Sorry my post was not very clear:

Mother Anne Jones married John Caldwell in 1832.

I have not confirmed any census or death for John. He was baptised in  1802 Pembridge

Eliza going to Paris: who did she go with? Was she in service & went with a family and when? There’s such a big gap 1841-1859!

I hope this makes things clearer.
Pipe, Fuller, Goodrich/King, Gale, Mansell, Hughes, Dore, Mellish, Nida, Caldwell, Jones, Hamley, Leigh, Barnett: England various counties

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
It would be impossible to say how Eliza travelled to Paris or who she went with given the timescale.

Have you already discounted the 47yr old John Caldwell - widower - living in Hereford in 1851?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol; I have not seen this death before; I’ve just checked the few death certs. that I have but not that one. Where did you find it? I’ve just checked the GRO but it didn’t show up 1851 +/- 2 yrs.

As for Eliza - perhaps I should visit her grave to ask her - she’s buried in the Nida family grave quite near me.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It was an 1851 census entry I found not a death entry

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, please can you tell me which site you found the 1851 census. I’ve searched FindMyPast, Family Search, Ancestry, FreeCen & The Genealogist withou luck. I did find  few on FindMyPast but most were in an asylum with only initials & I have no evidence to indicate that my John had a second name. He was baptised John parents were John & Elizabeth. The puzzle remains, unless he went to USA .

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Search John Caldwell born 1804 Winslow Herefordshire - ref is HO107 Piece 1980 Folio 456 Page 5

Got my doubts about him as he was an agric labourer not a cooper so probably the wrong one

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole, yes I’ve seen & discounted. I do know that when his daughter Eliza married in Paris 1859 that both her parents were deceased. I have found one newspaper cutting that could relate to John; he died in 1855 having been ill for sometime- he was described as a widowed cooper;
Hereford Times  26th April 1855.