Author Topic: Wheesbrook Holmfirth?  (Read 796 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wheesbrook Holmfirth?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 20 21:20 BST (UK) »
Wheels Brook is marked on the present 1:25000 Dark Peak map. It would appear to have been a farm with some associated.

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.57178&lon=-1.83120&layers=168&right=BingHyb now called Ford Court.

Google Street View https://goo.gl/maps/ZpWmsTXnPQ5Yosxo9
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GarryBB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Bykerlads. Holmfirth Express 01/08/1896 a copy of which can be found in Huddersfield Library. It's a news report with the heading BURNLEE and starts SUDDEN DEATH OF AN OLD INHABITANT - REMARKABLE GENEALOGY.  It's reporting on the death and burial, then goes on to mention her family.

I got into Lane Chapel Burial Ground recently using the key you can borrow from Holmfirth Library to open the top gate. They have recently tidied the graveyard up removing brambles. I also have a map of the graves provided by someone. All that and I still cannot find anything that looks like a Wimpenny family vault.

This was my last hope of finding someone who knew where it was.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info, Garry.
I shall go and have a look at the report.
You will have noticed that our Ruth was 96 when she died. Quite an amazing age, especially in those days, but in fact she heads a long line of very long-lived females, including my own mother still going strong at 92. She is Ruth's 3xgreatgranddaughter.
As regards graves at Lane, I have a bit of a vague note of what looks like a ref to Ruth's husband Joshua's grave: "josh dth in hudds examr, 1886 grv 16  G row Lane". Don't know how much sense this makes, or where I got the info or even if it is accurate. But you may find it useful?

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
The find a grave web site has a lot of photos of gravestones at Lane URC Upper Graveyard with some Wimpenny ones.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
PS and Correction to previous post:
 my mother, 92, is 2 x grtgranddaughter of Ruth, not 3x.

Offline GarryBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 October 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gibel and bykerlads.

Have managed to find documentation that confirms it's G16, so is less a Vault and more a deep grave. Have seen a photo of that plot and no headstone unfortunately.

I am descendent from Ruth via her daughter Ann and then another Ruth Wimpenny below that along with quite a few generations below that.

Cheers

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 October 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
Glad you managed to locate the grave.
My ancestor was Eliza, daughter of Ruth W and older sister of Ruth, which is where our 2 branches divide.
We have deduced that Eliza's illegitimate daughter Hosetta ( my grtgrandmother)'s unnamed father was probably Spanish. So, if by any remote chance you come across a spaniard called Jose during your researches, do please let me know! Or any reason why Eliza ( Wimpenny or Berry)  might have been in Bradford in thè mid1860's.
By the way, there was a strong tendency to eyesight problems in old age amongst Ruth's decendents :"blind" category on censuses, up to and including my mother's cataracts. Any sign of this down through your branch?