Author Topic: Sunderland - birth/baptisms for Michael abt 1853 & Margaret abt 1857 Sullivan  (Read 718 times)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm struggling to find a birth or baptism for my 2x gr-grandmother Margaret Sullivan. Family info and census documents suggest she was born in Chatham, Kent in 1857, but to date I've found nothing.

Her elder brother Michael was also said to have been born in Sunderland in 1853. Not found anything for him either. So I've been trying to track them down in either Sunderland or Chatham.

Their parents are Daniel (approx b1831) and Julia (approx b1834) Sullivan, allegedly from Cork, Ireland.

They have two elder children Ellen (approx b1847) and Johanna (approx b1851) - I have my doubts about Ellen being their child, as Julia would have only been about 13 when born.

The family were Catholic. Either a civil registration birth or a baptism would be awesome.

I've found census documents for the family from 1861. Daniel is listed as a labourer and its highly probable he was a labourer in the dockyards in Sunderland and Chatham.

I'd assume they lived relatively close to the dockyards, so that might narrow the parishes down.

I want to confirm Margaret's birth details, and also try and find out Julia's maiden name, and track where the parents came from in Ireland.

I hope someone can help me. Second set of eyes and all that.

Thank so much for your assistance.
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland - birth/baptisms for Michael abt 1853 & Margaret abt 1857 Sullivan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
This is a duplicate of your post on the Kent board.   See replies

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786609.msg6418760#msg6418760

Thread locked , please reply on link.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland - birth/baptisms for Michael abt 1853 & Margaret abt 1857 Sullivan
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
This is a duplicate of your post on the Kent board.   See replies

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786609.msg6418760#msg6418760

Yes, hoping to find Michael's birth/baptism to help with gaining more family info (sibling search). He was apparently born in Sunderland.

Thanks.
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)